Sign in to follow this  

Question on some Present Parameters...

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, with the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS, I was wondering if it matters what I choose for the: BackBufferFormat, like is there one that I could choose which would work fine with any computer? Right now I'm using D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, or is there a way of working out what is best for the current computer and AutoDepthStencilFormat, like I'm using D3DFMT_D16, should that be fine displaying on any computer?, or should I use D3DFMT_D32 on computers that support it, else i use D3DFMT_D16? also with the SwapEffect, should I use? btw I'm making a simple strategy game with basic graphics, eg 3d vertices, textures thats all really, in fullscreen mode

As with Direct3d, or DirectX in general, use the enumerations. Always. That's the bit that actually makes the SDK samples big, but it's good to have. You simply cannot rely on a certain feature or format to be available everywhere.

It's best to have a preferred format, but let the engine be able to autoswitch to another. It shouldn't make too much difference in the end.

I took most of the sample code for my engine, and added some more. On certain computers (esp. laptops) you won't be able to get a windowed hardware acceleration since the desktop color depth does not match. So the engine switches to fullscreen itself.

Every crap machine your game works on is a computer (and player) more for you.

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.