my textures look like crap in opengl

Started by
14 comments, last by jake_Ghost 19 years, 3 months ago
when i look at my textures close up they look like crap and all pixelated. I can see each pixel clearly!! How do i make it so the textures actually look decent and not so zoomed up so even when the textures is almost at zero u wont see everysingle pixel on the texture? thx jake
Advertisement
Have a look into texture filtering.
Texture filtering helps. Have you used glTexParameteri to set the min and mag filters to linear?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
yup i have, i have it so i can change the filtering on the texture by loading a texture with different filtering, nearest linear mipmap. I have also tried different values of FSAA and anisotropic filtering but it doesnt help
mipmapping helps for textures far away not close up
use GL_LINEAR filtering
+ bigger sized textures perhaps
if u still have problems post a screenshot
Play any game and get up real close to some textures. You'll always start seeing the pixels (hopefully blurred though because of filtering). As of now we are limited by resolution. Try increasing the resolution, and hopefully it will help some. But we'll always be limited by resolution, just do your best to not let the viewer get so close up.
The most aggressive filtering is achieved by setting min, mag, and mip filters to linear, and enabling anisotropy. If you've done that, you can't get any better. As you get really close to objects, texture artifacts will show. It helps to use higher resolution textures, detail textures, normal maps, etc.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
ok ill use what u guys have suggested. Thx for all the help!
and ill put up the link for my game when its done a year or so :p.

thx jake
Just for the sake of it, what size are your textures?

Even with the best filtering, a 64x64 texture up close WILL look pixelated, and pretty badly too if viewed close enough to occupy the screen. Your best bet, if possible, is to up the resolution of your textures. This assumes, like has been suggested, that you've set your textures to use filtering, though (linear for max, mipmapping for min; easiest to implement and pretty good looking, frankly.)
i have experimented with different sized textures andi have used very large ones. I dont no the exactsize cause im at skool but its prob bought 800x800 size.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement