Limiting input type in C++

Started by
4 comments, last by Fruny 19 years, 3 months ago
I want to limit the type of input the user makes in my short C++ program for my uni. Here is the code I have

int main()
{
	int radie = -1;

while (radie != 0)
	{
		cout << "Ange cirkelns radie (0 avslutar): ";
		cin >> radie;
            cout << radie << endl;
	}

return 0;
}

I want to be able to limit the input that is stored in radie to numbers only. If I input a char or a string, the program loops endlessly. Please help Obi-Wan Kenobi.. you are my only hope :-D
Advertisement
add a cin.ignore(80,'\n'); or something like that (look up .ignore) after the cin >> statement.
There are a few things that could make it an infinite loop. One being a spare newline character in the input buffer (namely '\n'). To remove this you would do something of the form

std::cin.ignore(std::cin.rdbuf()->in_avail(), '\n');

It should be noted that the above does not work in all situations, but there is no completly portable way to flush an input streams buffer(s). Secondly you can get problems if the stream enters a failed state. This might happen if you enter a string instead of a number into your integer. Doing this would set the streams fail flags. When a stream is in a failed state, all subsequent reads from the stream will fail, causing an infinite loop in this case. You should check for this condition each loop iteration.

if(std::cin.fail()){std::cin.clear();}

You could combine these together into a single function, or stream manipulator.

void inputstreamcheck(){  if(std::cin.fail())  {     std::cin.clear();  }  std::cin.ignore(std::cin.rdbuf()->in_avail(), '\n');}int main(){  int radie = -1;  while (radie != 0)  {     std::cout << "Ange cirkelns radie (0 avslutar): ";     std::cin >> radie;     inputstreamcheck();     std::cout << radie << std::endl;  }  return 0;}
#include <iostream>#include <limits>using namespace std;int main(){   int radie = -1;   while (radie != 0)   {      cout << "Ange cirkelns radie (0 avslutar): ";      cin >> radie;      if(cin.fail())      {         // Clear the fail flag         cin.clear();         // Discard the rest of the line         cin.ignore(std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max(), '\n');      }      else      {         cout << radie << endl;      }   }   return 0;}

edit: cin.ignore() accepts std::numeric_limits<int>::max() std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max() as a magic number to mean "any number". And don't forget to cin.clear() the fail flag.

[Edited by - Fruny on January 18, 2005 2:14:12 PM]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Technically that would be std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max() Fruny. [wink]
Quote:Original post by RigidBody
Technically that would be std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max() Fruny. [wink]

Correct. Rating++.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement