Summary of GNU/Linux IDEs

Started by
39 comments, last by Quasimojo 12 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Hello!

I can recommend Eclipse. In its latest Version (3.x) and the CDT Plugin, it is an excellent IDE. One feature i was missing in MOST other IDEs is the integrated version control (CVS / Subversion ). CDT provides a great debugger (needs gdb). I use Eclipse with gcc (Linux) and MinGW (Windows).

Cirdan

KDevelop has that.

Albert
-------------------------------------------http://www.thec.org
Advertisement
IDLE is another IDE( python.org )
and a heads up, xemacs is not the same as emacs for X windows.. They're 2 seperate editors..
The nice thing about kdevelop3 is that if you don't like the default ide clutter, you can pare it down so it's even simpler and less cluttered than microsoft visual studio.

the svn plugin and scons support are really nice too.
[=^_^=]http://bani.anime.net/etpro/ - ETPro websitehttp://bani.anime.net/banimod/forums/ - ETPro discussion forums
gedit is a great editor that syntax highlights most languages (I use it for C/C++, &#106avascript, xhtml, java, php, css, python, but it supports many more. like C#)<br><br>It's not an IDE, though. (/me still prefers makefiles) And it doesn't do anything more than highlight syntax. (I would prefer eclipse to gedit for java... if eclipse weren't such a juggernaut)
Quote:Original post by marijnh
Hate
* Hundreds of keyboard shortcuts to remember - steep learning curve

You are aware of that every keyboard shortcut also has a text-command? I.e. you can type M-x (to bring up the mini-buffer) then use a string literal name such as "query-replace", "compile", "search-regex", "switch-to-buffer" etc. to do stuff.

sorry for polluting the thread, just wanted to point this out.
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
When I first started on Linux I was using VI and was told it was used by many for quite some time. I was told it might be old but VI is still powerful. So I'd rather use VI compared to any other text editors. As old as it is, it has syntax highlighting; I thoug hthat was pretty cool for an oldie!

Any ways, I think I'll look into KDevelop because I'm more interested in Qt & KDE. I'm planning on buying a Qt3 programming book from Hastings, so hopefully that will aid me in developing KDE nice applications.

[Off Topic]
Because I'm still new to Linux I don't know where every thing is or what I can screw around with. I want to make several mods and install mods for KDE I've downloaded. Where is the source, I believe (YaST)SuSE installed it.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
You forgot monodevelop, a mature IDE for mono (C#, Java and Nemerle so far, probably VB soon). Written in C#, using Gtk# for the GUI.

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
Well I found my KDE hearer files but I can't find any source (.C /.CPP) files.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
The kde*-devel packages don't contain sources, only headers so you can develop your own KDE applications, if that's what you're talking about.
If you're counting non-C++ IDE's, there are quite a few:
* IDLE, as already mentioned
* DrPython
* Boa Constructor
* PyPE
* SPE
* PythonDevelop

EDIT:
And not to be picky or anything, but I believe Scintilla is just a GTK(2) rich text control widget. I believe the actual editor is named Scite.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement