.ms3d files decoding into OpenGL

Started by
1 comment, last by _John_Galt_ 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi there, I reached a point in my "OpenGL learning" in which I intend to import 3d models into OpenGL (vertices, materials, textures...). I saw an example of a programmer in which he would import 3d models from MilkShape (.ms3d) into OpenGL by reading the file.. The only thing I don't get is "How The Heck" does he understand binary? I tried opening the file with a HEX editor, with a text editor, but nothing makes any sense.. only the first 8 or 9 characters that are "ms300000" something (I guess that's the version). Till now the only thing I achieved was programming a converter from 3D Model ASCII (VRML) into OpenGL, which converts vertices , materials (includes transparencies), textures , and all the basic 3d shapes (cube, cone, torus, sphere..). Need no say that the program got HUGE with all those "if (this word) do that .. else .. blabla". I understand that this isn't a straightforward manner of doing it.. but I still have much to learn. Thanks VisualFX
Advertisement
If you check Milkshape 3D's website, you can find an SDK or something like msview (milkshape view) with source.
Check out NEHE's Tutorial number 31

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement