Visable indie startup plan... Please comment

Started by
4 comments, last by glenrm 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I have recently launced a very underbugeted indie group called WastedInk. Our current plan is to continue development on our current online project to a certain point of quality where it would seem fair to sell the game. The plan is to release the game for a free download while charging a small monthy fee and ingame extras for a price. We would do all of the hosting/advertising ourselfs and handle the payment ourselfs. We want to take the money made from this game to better ourselves and pay for future projects such as next generation platforms and other possible online projects. While working on the game and creating regular monthly updates we would continue work on other games released as either pay-to-download or other online games. We will contine this path until a publisher decides to pick us for a professional project on either next generation console or a PC project. This plan seems the most visable considering the lack of a need for a publisher and the ability to generate a steady income off of the game. Does this plan seem like a good idea for an indie trying to get into the biz as a profession?
Mark St. Jean - OwnerWastedInkVwmaggotwV@Yahoo.com
Advertisement
Quote:Does this plan seem like a good idea for an indie trying to get into the biz as a profession?

in a word....NO

You should read some of the threads here and you'll get to know why...

I know the costs and the things required for it. That is not an issue if that is what you are talking about.
Mark St. Jean - OwnerWastedInkVwmaggotwV@Yahoo.com
The 'plan' is something many developers dream of and yet many don't see it spring into reality.

I've been reading all your posts pertaining to your project and you come over to me as having no idea in how to run a business...of course, if I'm proved wrong then I do apologise.

I wish I had the time to rant and rave about whats wrong with all this imo...I don't want to be mean but this sort of thing has come up many times - if you do a search on GD you should find some objective answers to just this sort of thing and if you read them, then you may come back with some enlightenment.

a vital hint to start off with - make sure your w/site link works
Quote:Original post by Thrust
...We want to take the money made from this game to better ourselves
In what way will money allow you to better yourself? ;)
Go for it! If you have the talent in your group and $$$ in your group to try this idea why not? Prepare for a possible let down or failure in your first product (i.e. doesn't sell as well as you thought). You will learn a lot in trying to get this product/company off the ground. Just because others have failed doesn't mean you will and even if this product or company fails you will learn a lot from the process keep that in mind.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement