I'm a newbie,and how can I start?any suggestion

Started by
8 comments, last by gangway 23 years, 5 months ago
I''m a programmer,and like painting.more imagination.
Advertisement
you must decide what you like to do ? there are lots of different ways to get in on the creation of a game. If you can program (like your post says), then I would suggest making a small (very small) game to test your abilities and see where you stand. If you can create something on your own then people will see you can succeed and will be more likely to help you with other projects are let you on their team. If you have never programmed anything before, then I would make something REALLY simple. Like maybe a number guesing game in text. That was the very first thing I did way back when. Then I added a best score on the number guessing game (fewest guesses), then I added an all-time record to it. You can just keep building on simple little things like that to help teach yourself how different parts fit together.
But if you havent programmed before then do one of two things.......try to help out with art/story/whatever, or learn to program. I would suggest C++, but my opinion is biased since i love c++ and know all (almost) of it from the inside out. But visual basic is supposed to be pretty easy to pick up, and then there is Java that is platform independant and good for web browser stuff.
If you want to learn to program then click on the "New? Start Here" button on the main page of this site.

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

Read a book like Windows game programming for dummies, that kewl. Then, make a simple but amusing game. What I did was a network game with directx.
foobar
If you want program for your job in future you should choose C++ or Java. C++ is *best* language. Visual basic is good for newbies but you can´t do anything very professional with it.

But howto start:

Read two C++ books.

Program in text mode. I suggest you to make mathematical text-programs.They aren´t usually too long but they require you to think.

Study maths & windows programming.All you can push to your head.

Make simple Asteroids(If hasbro let´s you make it) or Pong,tetris or some arcade game.

And try to make program yourself if you stuck use debuggers, paper and brains . If you didn´t solve problem sleep.Then try again after few days post here if you haven´t solved it yet.

I hate to see when people post when they got error and don´t use their own time to find it.

Finding errors gives you experience what you will need. In certain situation no one isn´t giving you answer

//Game programming == is solving problems == math.
quote:Original post by Jaxks

Visual basic is good for newbies but you can´t do anything very professional with it.

Ouch! somebody call 911... think we just started a fire in here.

You can do almost anything in VB. I still suggest C++ since it kix ass

quote:Original post by Jaxks

If you want program for your job in future you should choose C++ or Java. C++ is *best* language. Visual basic is good for newbies but you can´t do anything very professional with it.
[...]

Warning #CC40: Troll detected!

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''t try this as root.)
Jaxks, you may not be able to create a professional application with VB, but lots of other programmers can.

Visual Basic is just what it says
Basic with a nice look !

...lol...
Dah! Guys come on...
The "read a book" arg is kind of killing for newbies. Haven''t you never been one? Didn''t you have the guts it takes to read a 500 pages book just because someone told you to....?

Personnally, the best advice I can give you gangway is to read ncsu121978 (is it your birthdate?) post and to take his advices (they are exactly what I think):

1. Don''t make it too big... Back in my young ages (I''m 20, so not too back) I tried to make a Megaman clone... After a month I gave up because it was too difficult. Bit by bit, you''ll make a byte, as I say .
  2. Don''t listen for those Quadratics vs Vector or 3D Culling discussions both in the forums and the articles... for now. Even if you can understand those concepts, or already have taken place in a discussion like this, you shouldn''t use them or think about a way to implement them in a game, yet. Later when you''ll feel more comfortable, go for it.
  3. Text game may seem annoying, and I understand you think they are totally useless. If you really want, go for some graphical user interface, but only if you feel comfortable. For such environnements, I would suggest VB, Lingo or environnements like Builder for C++ or Delphi (I wouldn''t suggest for VC++ if you don''t know Windows programming under it... too killing to start).
  4. What are your programming language? You have to start with what you are the most comfortable with. I focus mainly on comfort because if you are unease with an environnement, you won''t have the will to finalize it, which is primordial.

Hope this help.

Please answer to such questions as

• What''s your programming language?
  • What have you programmed before and how can you use that experience in mini-game project?
  • What do you really want to do? I''ve saw too many people saying "I want to program" that wanted to draw or even go in electronics... The versa is true too.
  • How can I make something original that will be fun? Doing a game, as small as it is, is not a simple Quake-like. There are too many of them, and the first mistake people do is to think they are good by making one of them. A game is supposed to be fun, player-oriented and original. Think about how OddWorld reinvent the standard platformer. People are not enough original these days (and I am not the best at it too).

"Poltras is cool" -- Nobody, since nobody ever liked me.
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...
Poltras, admit it, the best way to learn, say C or C++, is by reading a book and of course coding alot.
You learn alot form making small (often quite useless) applications..my first C program would go through your hdd and compile a list of all your mp3''s, it even had support for ID3 tags . Later on I rewrote it with a GUI, added functionality how the name of the song was to be written, added support for HTML list and so on..which thought me alot in the long run. I suppose this is where those little but innovatie games come into the picture .
Anyways, I got kinda of track there . I still suggest reading a book if you''re a total newbie. Now since gangway says he''s a programmer already perhaps a few DirectX tutorials would do, and then reading alot in the SDK docs, of course it''s much easier in the beginning if you do have a book.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement