Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyanide

is a AMD k6 bad?

Hi, just wanted to know something. I have got a AMD k6 500, 96MB RAM and a SiS 530 video accelerator with 8MB ram. but i''m not even able to play games like nfs 3 and quake 3. like does this have something to do with a k6 processor as i think rest of my system specs are slighlty more than what the games recommend. can u help, like what else do i need? san.

UM... i have that system (exactly down to the SiS 530 ). I believe that it is not the K6 but the fact that you don't have hardware acceleration.. SiS isn't a 3D acc, and I am pretty sure that Quake requires it. NFS3 doesn't seem to have a problem on my system tho... or was that NFS2... *shrugs* Mines 333MHz

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Edited by - dwarfsoft on October 29, 2000 8:04:47 AM

Hey, I''m using a K6-2 333 w/ 128 RAM a Matrox G200 8Mb on a VIA Apollo chipset and games like half-life work fine (of course not at 1024x768x32 and 200fps) but it runs smoothely at 800x600... haven''t tried out Quake but I supose it will be basically the same...

and btw the k6 is a fully x86 compatible processor and 500Mhz should be enough for any game on the market right now... you should look for the bottleneck somewhere else in your system (RAM, GFX, etc).

w/ a good gfx-card TNT2 or something you should get results close to the ones of a celeron at the same speed...

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

"The shortest path between to persons is a smile." - Anonymous

I have a K6-2 400MHZ, 64MB Ram, and a 8 meg ATI Rage Pro, and NFS3 and Quake III both run fine.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka

Eeewwww, AMD!
Eeewwww, SiS!

Commercial games are designed for Intel chips and 3dfx or nVidia accelerators. If a game doesn''t work and you have something other than an Intel with a 3dfx/nVidia, don''t even bother asking questions.

AMD K6-2's aren't really *horrible*, but in comparison to intel... I work as a network administrator and I just recently installed 17 k6-2 400Mhz boards at work and they would/could not compare to the Intel p166's! I'm telling you intel may be more expensive, AMD may make outrages claims but from my experience the K6-2's are not any good!

Aparently the new athlons are better but I haven't tried them. But that guy up there with the K6 500 who couldn't run above 800x600, well I'm running a Intel PIII 533Mhz (Tad higher on the frequency, but pretty close) and I can run Half life at 1280x1024 just great! (That's with an old Voodoo 3 as well!)

So in my opinion (Don't know anything about SiS) it'd be your processor, but I suppose it could be a combination of the too.
Good luck!
See ya,
Ben

EDIT: Spelling mistakes.

Edited by - cyberben on October 29, 2000 11:30:54 AM

I`ve got a AMD, the chip does effect games - but mostly if they require the instruction set on the chip, or for that matter anything like emulators or games that run in software. Try the original Quake on a Intel then AMD and see the difference...

But with a good 3d card, that will take the maths rountines away from the processor everything should run fine.

BUT BEWARE - I originally had a voodoo 3000 (AMD k6 III 450, which ran terribly. Infact I was so pissed off with the frame rate (around 20 fps with low detail) - that I chucked it and installed a nice shiny 3D Prophet II MX (nvidia geforce2 chipset)
But - I`ve now found out that the DirectX support doesnt work with old AMD motherboards - only the very newest. (Although OpenGL support works fine, which is strange)

So anyone out there who`s thinking of buying a geforce 2 card and has a AMD motherboard, get it checked out first!.

Paul.

damn it

To the people who say K6 is slow I get silky smooth performance at 800x600 in most games. Some games however suffer from some kind of conflict with a piece of my hardware eg half-life which ran fan on my old cyrix and s3 virge but runs like shit on my k6-2 and banshee. You can't compare the p3 and the k6-2 the k6-2 was meant to compete with the pentium but from my experience outperforms a pentium II quite handily.

My Homepage

Visit my forums

Edited by - crazy-vasey on October 29, 2000 1:14:51 PM

My system is a AMD 500Mhz K6-II, TNT2 32MB M64, 128MB, Sound Blaster Live!, 16GB WD 5400 RPM HD.

It runs very well, most people have their system loaded down with stuff they don''t need, but if you rip out half of windows and keep your system clean it will run better than most people''s . My system can boot in under 15 seconds if I lower the RAM checking and I''m not using (booting) my CD-R.

Of course, K7s are better, but K6s run just fine .

Null and Void
It is an inexperienced programmer who speaks of the length of his works.
It is an experienced one who speaks of the briefness.
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/

About Commercial Games being made for Intel, that is not always corrent. If you download the SoF SDK you can see that they have AMD optimization code in there (ASM). Never make a claim that something is always ________, they rarely come out right.

Null and Void
It is an inexperienced programmer who speaks of the length of his works.
It is an experienced one who speaks of the briefness.
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/

as many ppl have said the problem lies more in your grafix card being a piece of crap. also like other ppl have said you can play games ok on a k6 the k6''s fpu aint exactlly the best about 20% slower than a celeron at the same mhzbudget chips in order in order of speed
duron (fastest)
celeron
k6 (slowest)

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

What the hell!!!!

K62's are perfectly good processors and are just as fast as any other Celeron the only thing that makes a difference is the amount of memory the computer has in you are running on a 200mHz K62 then you might be getting a lot slower performence than a 700mHz Celeron or Pentium II. I have a K62 that works very fast with all the games I own including Quake III!

(Now I just have to get off this damn 56k modem!!!!!)

Open mouth, insert foot

Edited by - oglman on October 30, 2000 6:28:25 PM

Boy am I glad I have an Athlon 500mhz, never had a problem with it. I don''t see a reason to hate AMD other than company favor. If you want an affordable chip that runs just as fast as a Pentium, then you get an Athlon. If you want a dual or more rig, then you go Pentium, at least until a motherboard manufacturer for AMD implements SMP. Grr....

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt

Well I don''t know about you guys but i''ve had my PIII 500 mhz for almost a year now and I havn''t had one problem with it..Although before I did have it with a SiS 620 or something..that thing was nasty.. it stole 8 megs of RAM and leaving my 128megs to just 120megs of memory. It ran like crap and nothing OpenGL would work at all! Only Direct3D would work. Games didn''t run smooth at all, and I ditched that thing and got a Geforce 256 DDR and I can run any game on the market right now.. even though they came out with the GeForce 2.. grr.. oh well I recommend getting rid of your SiS it is complete crap.. its the kind of chip you find in computers at Kmart or wherever the hell they sell those cheap things (*note emachines).

(Also note.. i don''t think Kmart sells computers but.. hey

"One must choose, in life, between making money and spending it. There''s no time to do both."

hi folks,
maybe you''re right about the SiS card. I brought my friends s3 viper for a day and boy does everything runs fine or what? needless to say the speed with which NFS and quake run.
SiS cards are really a peice of crap, first they make your memory decrease by 8M and then they don''t give any performace...
i''m thinking of buying a new gfx card afterall, can''t afford a geforce ultra, so any other suggestions?

cyanide.

Greetz from the "CYANIDE"
http://www.sanchit.8m.com/