ok! 3d processor, huh?

Started by
4 comments, last by cyanide 23 years, 5 months ago
hi, remember i asked about the AMD k6 processor? The manual says its a 3d processor, i guess something like an MMX. so exactly what the hell is 3d now! and can it be applied to any of nehe''s tutorials? like does it work with opengl, ''ccuz opengl meant to be really 3d?? if it does relate to opengl then can any of you nice people tell me where to get the tut? san.
[size="1"]----#!/usr/bin/perlprint length "The answer to life,universe and everything";
Advertisement
i *think* and I''m not really sure about this, but I think that when they refer to it as a 3d processor, they are making somewhat of a jump. I''m pretty sure they are referencing the faster than average floating point processor the K6 possesses. Floating point calculations are intimately bound to 3D and increasing the speed of those should have an over all benifit on 3D performance (what''s not done on a 3d card that is).
Brought to you by: [email=ogapo@ithink.net]O.G.A.P.O.[/email] +----------------------------------------+| Surgeon General's Warning - || OGAPO can cause serious mental damage || if taken in large doses. |+----------------------------------------+/* Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups */
It has all the capabilities of MMX, and it also has better FPU performance than Intel processors. It also has the 3DNOW! instruction set, which you can take advantage of with ASM. I don''t know if OpenGL supports 3DNOW! and MMX instruction sets in its software mode, but I know for sure that D3D does.

Please state the nature of the debugging emergency.

sharewaregames.20m.com

the k6 has worse fpu than a celeron
yes u can use 3dnow with to speed up your maths stuff its widely used im sure even more widely used than the intel SSE instructions.
but in your case its not gonna make much difference as i said the problem lies in that your graphics card (sis) is complete crap
u should be able to get a ati rage128,nvidia riva128,intel810
for next to nothing. (they will at least increase your framerate 10x)
though if you''ve got a bit more cash i recommend one of these nvidia vanta,tnt2m64 (these will increase your framerate 20-30x)

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
No, don''t get a Vanta/M64. Trust me I know what I''m talking about (I''ve got one :D) Although it''s not bad (OpenGL pretty much rocks) D3D usually isn''t that great. If you really want a new video card and can''t afford a Geforce you won''t go wrong if you get an nVidia TNT2 pro or even better an TNT2 Ultra.
Prosser: But the plans were on display.Arthur Dent: On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar.Prosser: That's the display department.Arthur Dent: With a torch.Prosser: The lights had probably gone.Arthur Dent: So had the stairs.Prosser: But you did see the notice, didn't you?Arthur Dent: Oh, yes. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign outside the door saying "Beware of the Leopard." Ever thought of going into advertising?
true but some of us havent got the money for a geforce, myself ive got a vanta (keeps me honest) + i can happily push 400,000 tris a second (1024x768x16bit)

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement