Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John1

Can you animate using a programming language?

John1    122
That''s what I really want to know. IF "yes" THEN "What compiler do I use?"; IF "no" THEN "What graphics program do I use?" I haven''t written in QBASIC for about 2 years, so if that''s wrong, don''t be harsh please. Thanks

Ironblayde    130
That''s a pretty general question. Are you animating something for a game or what? And yes, you can animate with a programming language... you can do *anything* with programming. If you couldn''t animate anything with a program, I''d hate to see what games would be like...

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

The following sentence is true.
The preceding sentence is false.

baskuenen    124
I think what John1 means is creating the paths at runtime using sin/cos, or do key-framing using data from a modeling application like 3DS.

Yes, you can calculate it all yourself! I did it once, and it looked great! I would advice you to do this. Build a tree with body parts, and rotate the matrix around the joints. (If you know what I mean). If you would choose this method, you would have less data you need to deal with, and you can have an endless amount of movements!

Some people like key-framing, and using the animation from modellers. This animation can be more life-like, because this data can be made if you have a complete animation studio (ever seen those funny people with those ping-pong balls? ) The downside is lots of data, and interpolation sometimes can give ugly results. If you have a studio, modeling people and lot's of time - I would choose for this one.

Edited by - BasKuenen on October 29, 2000 5:28:57 PM