• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you animate using a programming language?

This topic is 6413 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

That''s what I really want to know. IF "yes" THEN "What compiler do I use?"; IF "no" THEN "What graphics program do I use?" I haven''t written in QBASIC for about 2 years, so if that''s wrong, don''t be harsh please. Thanks

Advertisement
That''s a pretty general question. Are you animating something for a game or what? And yes, you can animate with a programming language... you can do *anything* with programming. If you couldn''t animate anything with a program, I''d hate to see what games would be like...

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

The following sentence is true.
The preceding sentence is false.

I think what John1 means is creating the paths at runtime using sin/cos, or do key-framing using data from a modeling application like 3DS.

Yes, you can calculate it all yourself! I did it once, and it looked great! I would advice you to do this. Build a tree with body parts, and rotate the matrix around the joints. (If you know what I mean). If you would choose this method, you would have less data you need to deal with, and you can have an endless amount of movements!

Some people like key-framing, and using the animation from modellers. This animation can be more life-like, because this data can be made if you have a complete animation studio (ever seen those funny people with those ping-pong balls? ) The downside is lots of data, and interpolation sometimes can give ugly results. If you have a studio, modeling people and lot's of time - I would choose for this one.

Edited by - BasKuenen on October 29, 2000 5:28:57 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!