Settng VerticalSync ON in OpenGL

Started by
7 comments, last by zedzeek 19 years, 2 months ago
Hey Guys I am coding a small game in OpenGL and I need to set vertical sync on, but dont know how to do that. I am coding in OpenGL+gl4java+Java1.5 so please tell me if there is any way to turn on VerticalSync in 1. OpenGL itself 2. gl4java 3. Java 1.5 Thank you in advance ;)
Advertisement
the WGL_EXT_swap_control extensions allows you to request v-sync being on, however note the end user can override such a setting via the driver control panel.
thanks for ur post.. but i dont want to use any extensions.. plz tell me how it can be done using : "gl" , "glu" or "glut".. plz help me dude :-\
It cannot be done without extensions.
Thnx guys. Looks like its not gonna work without WGL_EXT_swap_control. But then

1. How do i use it?
2. What are the header files I need for that?
3. Where can I download the implementations, if any?
4. What is the portability of WGL_EXT_swap_control?

Looking forward for your hot replies :)
Hello..

1) Follow the link posted above...
2) I recommend GLEW for all your extension needs.
3) For 1 line of code?
4) WGL_ means it's a windows only extension. There seem to be one or two similar extension sthat begins with GLX_ so.. should be something similar för linux etc.
Quote:Original post by rick_appleton
It cannot be done without extensions.

Rubbish. I don't have anything to back me up, but I'm pretty sure (99%) there is a way to enable/disable VSync without the use of OpenGL extensions.
I've just taken a look at the red book and that doesnt mention anything (I've got the 1.4 version), so I think you'll find that you are wrong and its only the extensions which let it happen
whats the hassle with extensions? basically theyre called that cause they are extras /advancements to the core spec, theyre not something to be shyed away from

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement