• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
djamelh

OpenGL Help Splatting!?

This topic is 4914 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know a nice and simple way of splatting in opengl. Ive got a dataset of points and currently i just draw them as points. However since the points are actually meant to be stars I want to render them as 3d splats. Can anyone suggest a simple way of doing this? Or even maybe bluring the points would work. Thanks

Advertisement
The standard way is to sort your splats in reverse order of depth and render them with screen aligned alpha blended textured quads (billboards).

You'd want to use a GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA blend function (see glBlendFunc).

Alternatively you could use point sprites, which may be faster, but you have less control over the size.

Yeah I was sorta thinking billboards and textured quads.. <sigh> Ill just have to put some effort into it.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!