Sign in to follow this  
evanofsky

Does anyone else hate VC++.NET?

I doubt anyone hates VC++.NET as much as I do. Here's why: it's been working okay for a while now, except intellisense sometimes doesn't work, and sometimes it doesn't compile things that need compiling. But now, it's really blown it. Now, when I start my program in debug mode and it has an error, the whole thing freezes. I have to Control-Alt-Delete it before it does anything at all. Anyone else have troubles like this?

Are you using the beta by any chance? It is a beta so you can expect things like this to happen. Though I've been using the VS 2005 Beta for a while now with no major problems.

As for your problems; it not compilling things that need compiling that could be a result of you setting up your project incorrectly. As for the debugging thing that could be a fault in your program but then again it could all be the fault of VS without futher information I can't really say.

Visual Studio .NET is by far Microsoft's greatest achievement, if it had tabbed projects (where you could alternate between 2 or more projects with only 1 window) it would be the next best thing to whatever God developed the world in :)

We use vs.net and besides the IDE being pretty slow no complaints here. Its precompiled header rules aren't that intuitive. If you change a header in the pch it won't recompile the pch, gcc differes here.

Just be glad your not forced to use XCode/gcc on the Mac:)

Cheers
Chris

I have VC++.net and i have to say its the best 100 bucks ive ever spent. That ide makes things so streamlined its amazing. Everyone bashes on microsoft but you cant argue that they messed up on this. It puzzles me that your running into problems. Ive only crashed it once but thats because i decided to open aim when i was already low on memory. (Tip: When your system is slow from the number of programs open, dont open more.)
Lambo

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just be Glad you're not forced to use VI for your C++ Operarting Systems class.

I love VS.NET, especially VC++.NET.

I also have a problem with it being a little too agressive on minimal rebuilds, but this doesn't happen that often and its easy to fix (just go delete the .obj files that you get the link errors with). The class view also pisses me off because it constantly changes scroll positions on me.

Overall its a fantastic product.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'm a Borland person, so I hate it by default.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I'm a Borland person, so I hate it by default.
I'd still be using BC++ also if newer versions were being released, but I have to say VS.Net is a rather good substitue. I've had problems with the 'minimal rebuilds too aggressive' before, and its not perfect stability wise (most often expressed as complete lockups with certain regex searches even in short files - at the very least if the search is going to take forever it should poll for messages so you can cancel), but overall I feel the $100 was a very good investment (and I haven't even toyed with any of the .Net languages - I have VS Academic).

VS.Net 2005 on the other hand is a monstrosity - visually distracting, slow (on my 2400+ 640MB RAM system), and generally not an improvement over 2002/2003(I use the 2003 toolkit compiler with 2002 IDE) at all as far as I could tell.

Quote:
Visual Studio .NET is by far Microsoft's greatest achievement, if it had tabbed projects (where you could alternate between 2 or more projects with only 1 window) it would be the next best thing to whatever God developed the world in :)

You know you can stick more than one project in a solution, right? It even lets you setup build dependencies between projects so that for example your libraries are compiled before the main application.

Quote:
Original post by emileej
Who said XCode?

Oh - I did :)

I said it!! Its a dog of a program, even the apple guys dont' use it as their primary IDE, most use Code Warrior:)

Cheers
Chris

Quote:
Original post by Extrarius
VS.Net 2005 on the other hand is a monstrosity - visually distracting, slow (on my 2400+ 640MB RAM system), and generally not an improvement over 2002/2003(I use the 2003 toolkit compiler with 2002 IDE) at all as far as I could tell.
Do remember that VS 2005 is still in beta, and the current betas are over six months old.

The only problems I have are that it will slow down considerably for about 1-2 minutes every hour or so - I think it's rebuilding the Intellisense database (On an Athlon 1800+/768MB). Oh, and it doesn't like preprocessor metaprogramming. When looking at the preprocessed output, it works fine for about five minutes, then jumps to about 1.3GB working set and crashes. GCC has nicer preprocessed output anyway.

I haven't used VS 2003 extensively, so I can't comment on it - but 2005 is better than any other environment I've ever used for C++, hands down. I'll have to exercise my school's MSDNAA subscription when VS2005 final is out.

I'm having a weird problem with the 2002 version of Visual C# .net. I can't create a blank C# project. When I go to new Projects then i select on C# projects, there isn't a blank project selection. I've seen screen shots where there is one.
I've tried creating a blank solution then creating a blank project but the only options i've had are to create a blank windows app or a blank command line app.

Is it just my version or something?

Quote:
Original post by DarkHacker

LFMAO!!! Ironic, because I always pictured God as a programmer and were just a data base of entities scripting by the media. =)

I wish they'd quit mucking with the UI. MS products tend to be of the "two steps forward, one step back" variety in that subsequent releases are usually markedly better, but they find other ways to irritate you. VS2005 looks like ass, and they seem hellbent on making it look as ugly as possible despite numerous complaints on the beta boards.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Visual Studio 2005 with Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9's UI... now that would be something..

But indeed, VS 2005 is hideous!!1