Api to handle 2D sprites?

Started by
7 comments, last by whitde 19 years, 2 months ago
is there any api which using gimp (or other program that works with Linux) i could create 2D sprites with multiple animations and frames for use in games, and will handle loading the sprite data, and have some control structure for the sprites.
Advertisement
I'm not really sure about that, but I'm actually working on a library like the one you want.

Its pretty simple, but maybe it can help you.
It reads SFF files (used in mugen) and stores them as char arrays along with the palette info in other array.

Warning: It's incomplete but loads and shows images.

grab it here
It's the source code along with a test file. Sorry, no makefile here, I don't know how to use it yet. (the r and c files are bash scripts for linux).
Wow, that really is amazing. Would you like a bash script that compiles and links all .cpp files?
Not really, but I only got Kdevelop and I hate all the files it creates in order to compile a project. This is a simple app, and I should keep all things simple.

BTW, did yu test it?
Quote:
Wow, that really is amazing.

is impressed. what kind of control structure do you have? is it like lots of animations, each composed of lots of frames?
Actually this only handle sprite data, animation data could be handled in a different class to guarantee sprite "reusability" (you know, a sprite can be used in more than 1 animation).

http://www.grinninglizard.com/kyra/

is not too shabby

(edit: oops API not engine! but might help anyway)

[Edited by - anti_alia on February 8, 2005 2:48:32 PM]
Clanlib has a nice resource manager and sprite library. It handles frames for multiple animations, timing, ping-pong, collision detection, scaling, rotation, etc.
I have a free program... Sprite Slicer.

It allows Sprite Sheets to be merged, created from image sequences... it has an animation ability and it's what I have use for my upcoming game.

It has a tool...font mechanic that builds bitmap fonts from an Truetype font and is capable of making International fonts (ie. Russian, Chinese, Korean, etc).

The files it uses are in text format which should be easy to parse and thus load into your own applications.

The Unofficial version of HGE supports all the file formats internally.

It also has the ability to create "collision spheres" that allow rotated and scaled sprites to be checked for collisions very fast and accuratley.

It's a .Net application but there's no reason why the data files produces couldn't be used anywhere.

www.hoek.inkblue.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement