OpenGL versus DirectX - A very newbie question...

Started by
1 comment, last by Oluseyi 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello there. I was wondering, is the only difference between the DirectX API and the OpenGL API is that the OpenGL API is being supported by more OSs and game stations than the DirectX API does (while DirectX runs only under the Windows OS and maybe on some game stations, I'm not totally sure - OpenGL runs under the Linux, Mac OS X and Windows OSs AND under the Game-cube, X-box and Playstation game stations)? As far as my understanding goes, they both capable of the same abilities (that is, performance wise and functionality wise). So, is the aforementioned correct? The only difference between the two APIs is that the OpenGL API is being supported by more OSs and game stations than the DirectX API does? IMO there must be another difference, because an API that is being supported by more OSs and game stations than another API AND that has the same abilities as the other API would have been used by every programmer (more OSs and game stations that support the API you are using = more copies of your software being sold). Am I correct? I'm asking this because I've just finished my C++ course and I'm ready to start and learn some API, I just don't know which one to choose (well, it must be one of the two mentioned above - DirectX\OpenGL. SDL and such are not "sophisticated" enough for a decent programmer such as I [wink]). I got all the foundations needed (that is, math, physics, high-level programming language, etcetera...), all I need to know is the differences between the two (advantages\disadvantages). Thanks a lot in advance, Arie. P.S. - I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (and I'm sure it has [rolleyes]), I just couldn't seem to find the answers I'm looking for anywhere. Thanks a lot again. [smile]
Advertisement
Yes, it has been asked before, and in the past it has often resulted in a pointless flame war. I'll give this thread the benefit of the doubt for the time being, but if it turns stupid, I'm killing it.

A couple of points though:
The 3D API offered by microsoft is Direct3D, not DirectX. DirectX is merely a collection of APIs.

I'm surprised you think SDL is not "sophisticated" enough for you, given that Epic used it for its Linux port of UT. You know that SDL can be used with OpenGL, right?

There's a little more to writing cross-platform software than simply using a cross-platform graphics API, (although it's a good starting point).

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Apparently, an accidental double post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement