Coordinates units calculation with 3d models

Started by
4 comments, last by Zantagor 19 years, 2 months ago
I know the title ain't that precise but here what I meant. let's say I make a cube in 3DSMax, using the metric system for the size units. let's also say the cube is 1meter by 1meter. is there a way to decide what the coordinates system will be scaled at? like let's say 0.1 in the 3d "world" is going to be 1meter. how do I achieve this, without the need to actually rescale the 3d object. (all objects will be created using the meter system, so the sizes are constant.) dunno if you get what I mean.
Advertisement
I think I might get what you're saying...

If you're using OpenGL, I believe there's a function called glScalef() or something along those lines. You'd call that function right before your glBegin() that you would use to draw a polygon.

I hate Direct3D, so I'm pretty fuzzy on it, but there is probably something like that in the D3D library. That way, what you are actually doing is scaling the coordinate system the drawing routines are using, but not scaling the actual object.

I'm not sure if I helped at all but, hey, it was worth a shot. :)
Think I'll just try and export a .X file and see how it goes...

btw, is there any pre-compiled .X Exported out there that are decent?
now that I toyed a bit with the Panda exporter for 3dsmax 5... a question arise,

I have a model, that has a Gold texture on it, which has a Reflection Map to it to get that metallic effect.

anyway to get that effect in the .X as well?
I'm not sure about 3ds max, but when you export from Maya the unit conversion is 1:1 -- ie. no change -- I THINK max is the same. If you model the object with the scale you want then it should be the same in D3D by default.
I did a quick test yesterday night, but didn't delve into it deeper...

but a 1meter * 1meter cube seemed to become about 32.something units wide
that's a bit "big" for my tasted.

I wish there was a way to make to convert those units back.

the reason why I want to use the meter system for modeling is so pretty much make sure everything stays up to scale. Both in 3DS and D3D...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement