Where everybody knows your name.

Started by
26 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 5 months ago
I was thinking it would be a good idea if the player did not know NPC''s names til the player spoke to that NPC or another NPC indicated who that NPC was. It would be more interesting than suddenly knowing every NPC''s name instantly. "All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd "Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Sound as a good idea!

Before the player know th name of the NPC, the Npc should be identified by their fonctions (ex: Gard, Blacksmith, kid, sexy girl ).

You could also hava a NPC lie about his name...

Delisk
Yeah, that''s a good idea. Perhaps there could even be a detailed physical description for the NPC. So, the player could ask one NPC about a certain NPC''s name and the NPC could describe what that NPC looks like physically (like a scar or something). Then the player could narrow down who''s who by their physical descriptions.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I think most games give the NPCs'' names automatically for convenience. It depends on whether you want to show "Hi! my name is . . ." for every character. Definitely a good idea though. Of course, the PC would already know a few of the NPC''s.

Think outside the dodecahedron
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Yea, it''s a great idea. But it has a problem, makes player data kinda'' big. And putting this in a massive multiplayer game would take tons of server space..
I realize that it would not work w/ every type of game, but it could provide more role-playing.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
I''ve seen this in a few places, namely Final Fantasy Tactics and Panzer Dragoon Saga. I love it every time I see it.

Good call, Naz.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I''ve seen... Final Fantasy... I love it every time I see it-- Landfish?!
WHAT?!! An NPC thread started on the day that I decide not to post in the morning! Gee... I am surprised that nobody noticed my lack of presence...

Anywho - great idea, as I have always been one for this kind of advancement. NPC''s are definitely in my FOV on the improvement scale. I think this was suggested some time ago when we were talking about NPC learning, though it could have been in the egroups board. If not then it was definitely in my head

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Deus Ex implemented a feature like that. Before you talked to NPCs, they appeared generically(scientist,trooper,etc.) but after you spoke with them, most of them then appeared by name.

This RtS-Babble© has been brought to you by:
-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement