pointers

Started by
14 comments, last by Deyja 19 years, 2 months ago
in game programming is there a standard for use of pointers eg in vc++6 I see a lot of pass by reference in code listings...I like this better i see some pointers to classes.......why would you need such a thing i can understand using pass by reference in functions, member functions but I am hazy on the need for pointers
Advertisement
References are just pointers with a bit more safety in exchange for less flexibility.

A reference must always be initialized, which is good in that you know it's always pointing to something valid, but bad in that it cannot be used for optional values (like a parent pointer being NULL to mean no parent). Because of this, references are usually consigned to function arguments and local variables. You also cannot re-assign a reference (if you try to re-assign it, you just end up modifying what it refers to, which makes for some fun debugging).

Pointers suffer no such restrictions, but by that same token are more dangerous. You can modify where a pointer points to as well as what it points to. It can point to something valid, or something invalid. It can be unitialized (but shouldn't be).
so you could get away with a OO c++ program with just references.

in what case would you need to use a pointers though, you still see pointers everywhere?
If you want to dynamically allocate memory then you need to use pointers e.g.

class Dummy{private:  int*  values;public:  Dummy(int n)  {     values = new int[n];  }  virtual ~Dummy()  {    if(values)      delete[] values;  }};

Like foofightr says references are less flexible, you can delete them, although this isn't a bad thing, I tend to use references for passing and returning values and pointers for dynamic memory allocation.
Pointers are better choice when you have to change its value. References are initialized when they are created, and you can't change the variable it references afterwards.

Here's a code on using pointers for a changing variable it points:
float f1, f2;float* pCurrentVal;void Print(){   cout << (*pCurrentVal) << endl;}int main(){   f1 = 120.0f;   f2 = 56.0f;   pCurrentVal = &f1:   Print();   pCurrentVal = &f2;   Print();   return 0;}
Quote:Original post by jagguy
in game programming is there a standard for use of pointers eg in vc++6 I see a lot of pass by reference in code listings...I like this better

i see some pointers to classes.......why would you need such a thing
i can understand using pass by reference in functions, member functions but I am hazy on the need for pointers

References and pointers pretty much are the same thing under the hood.

Advantages of references:

1) You can expect it will be valid to use
2) object.fnord syntax instead of object->fnord syntax

Advantages of pointers:

1) They don't necessairly have to actually be valid
2) (re)assignable instead of contstruct-only

Pointers are SOMEWHAT of an aftereffect from C. No, let me rephrase that: the common use of pointers as function arguments is somehwat an aftereffect from C, as that was the only method of passing arguments to be modified in that language. Reasons for continuing this trend include:

1) Force of habit
2) Uniformity (with other functions which may need pointer-type syntax)

That said, I use references a lot, more than pointers in my function arguments.
a lot of good replies here I must say so thanks for that.

i prefer references for passing as argument to functions.

with the dynamic allocated memory, i am a little confused on that because you could use a temporary variable couldnt you....i am a bit rusty on that 1

I see you can have a pointer to a function or member function which you cant do with a reference (I dont know why you would need to), and eg directX functions require pointers as arguments

I need to do some programming to get a better grasp of it, i guess

If you want to allocate a certain number of objects based on a value which can only be determined at run-time, for example if it is read from a file or entered by the user then you have to use dynamic allocation.
Quote:Original post by jagguy
a lot of good replies here I must say so thanks for that.

i prefer references for passing as argument to functions.

Again, completely understandable (IMHO) since this is the same as with myself.

Quote:with the dynamic allocated memory, i am a little confused on that because you could use a temporary variable couldnt you....i am a bit rusty on that 1

Let me (attempt to) address this bit.

First off, I'll assume we can agree that you NEED to use pointers in order to manage memory using new/delete (or their array equivilants, new[]/delete[]) as that is what they return. Why are they useful?

Consider for a moment a unit in a real time strategy game. Temporary variables (as in, temporary by scope, declared in a function and gone once that function ends) are insufficient here, as the lifetime of the unit is much longer than the execution of one function (unless the base that produced it is getting obliterated by a thousand artilery shells - but that's another issue :P).

On the other hand, global variables are insufficient here, as there's going to be more than 1 unit, and we don't know the upper limit of units (to keep our engine flexible). Thus, we can't just do: "game_unit all_units[1000];" or we'll have problems when we reach unit 1001.

That said, there are times we can let other people take care of all the "nasty" pointers... by using the STL for example, the above could become:

std::deque< game_unit > all_units;

which could then be resized as needed.

Quote:I see you can have a pointer to a function or member function which you cant do with a reference (I dont know why you would need to), and eg directX functions require pointers as arguments

Since member functions are dealt with in a somewhat odd manner (as offsets to the class base, which are then called in conjunction with a variable - aka, you provide the "this" argument) making them references is a bit of a crazy idea (IMHO). The closest thing to a member-function reference would be boost::function combined with boost::bind - but a boost::function is reassignable, and isn't callable in some "
"provide_this.*provide_function( provide_argument );" scheme that I'm aware of - it can only keep the finished product (as far as I know, minus the arguments).

Quote:I need to do some programming to get a better grasp of it, i guess

Another benifit of pointers that I frogot to mention is that they can be accessed like arrays, or incremented. For example:
char * pie = "fnord";

In this example, pie really points to only one character - 'f'. It points to the START of the entire string, "fnord". With basic C-style manipulation you might write your own printstring function:
void printstring( char * string ){    for ( char * character = string ; *character != '\0' ; ++character )    {        putch( *character );    }}

Of course, in C++ you should probably be using std::string, and sure, this function could be optimized (by just calling puts for example :P) but it gets the point accross. You're realling accessing the string one character at a time. This is extremely similar to iterators, which are used for accessing STL containers in this manner.
This is a common phase in the lives of new programmers. The first question is usually "What the hell is THAT?", followed quickly by "Why would anyone ever need THAT?", where THAT is any new and confusing concept. Eventually, your questions will become "THAT looks different." and "THAT could come in handy!", where THAT is any new and exceptionally clever yet mildly confusing concept.

It is, unfortunatly, a bit of a catch-22. If you had the knowledge to understand why you would want to use pointers, you wouldn't have to ask.

Sure, you can program without them, but theres an awful lot of stuff you can't do without a pointer or reference mechanism. Many people tout Java as an example of a pointer-free language; removing them certainly did not make Java programs any easier to write.

On another note, I don't use dumb pointer variables very much. I may take the address of a variable, usually to pass to an API I didn't write, but if I new it, it goes into a smart pointer immediatly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement