Sign in to follow this  
Boder

Biggest, Longest Thing You've Compiled

Hmmm, Yes yes yes. This might be kind of pathetic, I dunno. But I just compiled the Battle for Wesnoth 0.8.10 and it took me around 45 minutes. I just wish it had a progress bar, but it was absolutely worth the wait. And it was soooo easy to compile. ./configure make. Anyway I've never compiled anything so large in one sitting. How about you? What kind of large things you been cooking lately? [cool]

The largest thing I've ever compiled is the project I'm currently employed to work on. It's never occurred to me to measure its exact size, but I'd guess a little over 100 C# files and a few dozen VB.NET files (and this is excluding all the autogenerated C# files). I'll be able to get some more specific numbers while I'm at work tomorrow.

EDIT: OK, looks like my estimates were off. We have 325 C# files totalling 91,907 lines and 2.9 MB, and 126 VB files totalling 28,893 lines and 1.3 MB. (Still not counting the autogenerated stuff.)

[Edited by - Beer Hunter on February 8, 2005 11:26:21 PM]

In terms of time taken then compiling Qt 3 under Linux which took around 1.5 hours to complete, doing a full build of GCC 3.4.3 was another big one. Under Windows it would have to be OGRE, dam thing takes up over a gig when building from source in both release and debug.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The biggest single file I've ever compiled was a 250,000 line file (auto generated by a tool I'd written, and not very practicle to split up) - the only way that it would compile with MSVC 2003 was when I found a switch that allows the compiler to increase its memory usage (to an arbitrary ammount, but in my case it came out as about 350MB!).

I spent two days compiling Gnome, KDE, and their dependencies on Gentoo. Somewhere along the way Mozilla got pulled in and that took forever.

Like the other Gentoo users before me, my operating system.

mutex: Yeah, there's a lot of use flags enabled by default, Mozilla is one of them. Run 'emerge info' to find out what it's using, and add '-option' to the USE variable in /etc/make.conf.

I think this thread will be dominated by Gentoo users [smile].

By far the largest package in the Gentoo portage tree is Ximian OpenOffice.org. Last time I compiled it (which was about six months ago, maybe longer), it took about 16 hours and over 3.5GB of disk space (Athlon 1800+/768MB). It just takes too bloody long to compile to make it worthwhile.

Firefox & Thunderbird are pretty bad too, at about 90 minutes each - the majority of which is Gecko. If the Mozilla folks would get the GRE (Gecko Runtime Environment) finished, that would be cut down considerably, since Gecko would only need to be compiled once, not twice.

Quote:
Original post by ChaosEngine
4 millions lines of legacy code on a mainframe. took a day to compile and another to link.

[wow] I didn't even know this was possible!

Probably Gentoo, I used Stage One. (I think it was stage one, it was the one where you compiled everything) It took hours and hours and hours to compile, it was kinda fun though, I'd recommend it if you're bored one day and have a spare computer. [smile]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I compiled the KDE 3.2 I am currently using. Took me several days, and was especially fun when you walked away or slept, only to discover something had failed and needed to be rectified. Not doing that again any time soon.

The whole bloody install of eLx linux (based off Debian), for me. 45 to 48 minutes, depending on how tetchy my CD drive decides to be. The kernel comes pre-compiled, but KDE and nearly all the development software has to be compiled from compressed source.

Quote:
Original post by Boder
Hmmm, Yes yes yes.

This might be kind of pathetic, I dunno. But I just compiled the Battle for Wesnoth 0.8.10 and it took me around 45 minutes. I just wish it had a progress bar, but it was absolutely worth the wait.

And it was soooo easy to compile. ./configure make. Anyway I've never compiled anything so large in one sitting.

How about you? What kind of large things you been cooking lately? [cool]

I recompiled the Linux kernel if that counts. I've also built OpenSSL and the Ogg Vorbis SDK. Building OpenSSL easily took the better part of an hour, of course I was using MSYS that may have had some effect.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Another stage 1 gentoo user here =)

Longest single emerge is definatly openoffice.

In december I compiled the gcc sources on linux on a 400Mhz Celeron with 64 Megs of RAM, took about 6 to 8 hours. I don't remember excactly :) but I hated it and cursed the slow computer.