Biggest, Longest Thing You've Compiled

Started by
33 comments, last by Marmin 19 years, 1 month ago
The whole bloody install of eLx linux (based off Debian), for me. 45 to 48 minutes, depending on how tetchy my CD drive decides to be. The kernel comes pre-compiled, but KDE and nearly all the development software has to be compiled from compressed source.
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Boder
Hmmm, Yes yes yes.

This might be kind of pathetic, I dunno. But I just compiled the Battle for Wesnoth 0.8.10 and it took me around 45 minutes. I just wish it had a progress bar, but it was absolutely worth the wait.

And it was soooo easy to compile. ./configure make. Anyway I've never compiled anything so large in one sitting.

How about you? What kind of large things you been cooking lately? [cool]

I recompiled the Linux kernel if that counts. I've also built OpenSSL and the Ogg Vorbis SDK. Building OpenSSL easily took the better part of an hour, of course I was using MSYS that may have had some effect.
Patrick
Another stage 1 gentoo user here =)

Longest single emerge is definatly openoffice.
In december I compiled the gcc sources on linux on a 400Mhz Celeron with 64 Megs of RAM, took about 6 to 8 hours. I don't remember excactly :) but I hated it and cursed the slow computer.
Gentoo ;) The mother of all compiles. I believe it took me many days to finish the software included.
Quote:Original post by Undergamer
Gentoo ;) The mother of all compiles. I believe it took me many days to finish the software included.

NECRO
I once wrote a side scroller that had 6 files (excluding headers) and took about 20 seconds to build. EAT THAT!
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Initially compiling both game DLLs of the HL2 SDK took my 2500+/1GB ddr-400 system about 10-15 min.
-Conrad
Excluding Gentoo (because it's really not fair), probably Quake 2 in its entirety.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
QT and the parts of KDE 3.1 I wanted under linux definitely rank up there for me...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement