Biggest, Longest Thing You've Compiled

Started by
33 comments, last by Marmin 19 years, 1 month ago
Hmmm, Yes yes yes. This might be kind of pathetic, I dunno. But I just compiled the Battle for Wesnoth 0.8.10 and it took me around 45 minutes. I just wish it had a progress bar, but it was absolutely worth the wait. And it was soooo easy to compile. ./configure make. Anyway I've never compiled anything so large in one sitting. How about you? What kind of large things you been cooking lately? [cool]
Advertisement
The largest thing I've ever compiled is the project I'm currently employed to work on. It's never occurred to me to measure its exact size, but I'd guess a little over 100 C# files and a few dozen VB.NET files (and this is excluding all the autogenerated C# files). I'll be able to get some more specific numbers while I'm at work tomorrow.

EDIT: OK, looks like my estimates were off. We have 325 C# files totalling 91,907 lines and 2.9 MB, and 126 VB files totalling 28,893 lines and 1.3 MB. (Still not counting the autogenerated stuff.)

[Edited by - Beer Hunter on February 8, 2005 11:26:21 PM]
Err - from phase 2 in Gentoo. So most of the Linux system.
Gentoo Handbook
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Biggest thing I've compiled so far is KDE 3.0. Took me a whole weekend.
OGRE ate disk space like there was no tomorrow.
Whole Gentoo linux - especially KDE is big. It took about 18 hours.
Firefox. (And Gentoo, but that doesn't even come close)
In terms of time taken then compiling Qt 3 under Linux which took around 1.5 hours to complete, doing a full build of GCC 3.4.3 was another big one. Under Windows it would have to be OGRE, dam thing takes up over a gig when building from source in both release and debug.
The biggest single file I've ever compiled was a 250,000 line file (auto generated by a tool I'd written, and not very practicle to split up) - the only way that it would compile with MSVC 2003 was when I found a switch that allows the compiler to increase its memory usage (to an arbitrary ammount, but in my case it came out as about 350MB!).
That wxWidgets took a bit for me last night. Had to manually rebuild all the dependices first then do the library itself. Maybe around 5+ minutes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement