Getting started with Managed DirectX

Started by
4 comments, last by Mykre 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, Probably this topic has been discussed before, but the search is down, and I've heard that the API often changes with the release of new versions (October->December). So, this is what I'd like to know: What's a good place to get started? MSDN is not really usefull for beginnners on the field of DirectX programming it seems. So, any books or tutorials? (If books, are they still and will they stay actual for a few months to come?) Thanks.
Advertisement
well, just take the newest version of directX out right now an dlearn that, you don't have to update you graphics every time DirectX updates. Programming Role-playing games is very good book for DirectX(not MDX), it show you how to create a Game Engine Frame Work and once you have done that, then it is easier to update it.
Thanks,

But I think you may have misunderstood my question a bit. I know how to build a solid game framework, and of course I should use the latest version, but I'm looking for resources that teach me how to use it, the managed version specifically.
Sijmen, Try the Managed Direct X Kickstart and Beginning 3D Game Programming with MDX both from Tom Miller. Tom is the development manager for the Managed Direct X API at Microsoft. Do a search on Amazon by author (Tom Miller), and you will find the books.

Dave
Ok, I've downloaded/installed the DirectX SDK, and looked at both books. However, are there any tutorials to get the first parts? Like loading and displaying a textured quad?
Here are some Quick links for Managed DirectX

Managed DirectX Links
=====================
Managed World
The ZBuffer
Star Lynx
BrandyGames
Drunken Hyena
vbProgramming
GotDotNet Managed DirectX Home
Roby DX

Forums with Managed DirectX Content
===================================
vbProgramming

Managed DirectX Blogs
=====================
Tom Millers Blog
From The Soup To The Nuts
dwellerville
Craig Andera's Weblog
Mykre's Space
The Cloak of Wisdom
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement