unresolved external '_main' referenced error

Started by
5 comments, last by ShawnO 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I'm new to window-programming, and I bought myself a book about games-programming. It uses borland c++ to write games in Win32 API. I use borland c++ builder 3, and when i try to run the files, i get this error:
Quote: unresolved external '_main' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\BORLAND\CBUILDER3\LIB\COX32.OBJ.
does anybody know what to do with this?
Spippo is magic,is magic!!!!!Oh ho hoo!!!!Spippo is magic
Advertisement
If your doing a Win32 (non-console) app, you'll need to use WinMain - not main - so that may be your problem. Could we see the code? That would help a lot.

[edit: Reading your post a second time, it sounds like your trying to run some code from a Win32 book. If that's the case, (I haven't used Borland C++) but make sure you compile it as a Win32 application - not a Win32 console application.]
OK, I made a application now, and now it gives me errors about the icons I added in the .rc file. It sais:

Quote:
Declaration terminated incorrectly.

Here are my codes:

Unit1.h
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------#ifndef Unit1H#define Unit1H//---------------------------------------------------------------------------#include <Classes.hpp>#include <Controls.hpp>#include <StdCtrls.hpp>#include <Forms.hpp>//---------------------------------------------------------------------------class TForm1 : public TForm{__published:	// IDE-managed Componentsprivate:	// User declarationspublic:		// User declarations    __fastcall TForm1(TComponent* Owner);};//---------------------------------------------------------------------------extern PACKAGE TForm1 *Form1;//---------------------------------------------------------------------------#endif

Unit1.cpp
//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Skeleton Application// C++ Source - Skeleton.cpp//-----------------------------------------------------------------//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Include Files//-----------------------------------------------------------------#include "Unit1.h"#include "Skeleton.rc"//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Global Function Declarations//-----------------------------------------------------------------LRESULT CALLBACK  WndProc(HWND hWindow, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Global Functions//-----------------------------------------------------------------int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,  PSTR szCmdLine, int iCmdShow){  static TCHAR  szAppName[] = TEXT("Skeleton");  WNDCLASSEX    wndclass;  HWND          hWindow;  MSG           msg;  // Create the window class for the main window  wndclass.cbSize         = sizeof(wndclass);  wndclass.style          = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW;  wndclass.lpfnWndProc    = WndProc;  wndclass.cbClsExtra     = 0;  wndclass.cbWndExtra     = 0;  wndclass.hInstance      = hInstance;  wndclass.hIcon          = LoadIcon(hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_SKELETON));  wndclass.hIconSm        = LoadIcon(hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_SKELETON_SM));  wndclass.hCursor        = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);  wndclass.hbrBackground  = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW + 1);  wndclass.lpszMenuName   = NULL;  wndclass.lpszClassName  = szAppName;  // Register the window class  if (!RegisterClassEx(&wndclass))    return 0;  // Create the window  hWindow = CreateWindow(szAppName, szAppName, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, CW_USEDEFAULT,    CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL);  // Show and update the window  ShowWindow(hWindow, iCmdShow);  UpdateWindow(hWindow);  // Enter the main message loop  while (GetMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0))  {    // Process the message    TranslateMessage(&msg);    DispatchMessage(&msg);  }  return (int)msg.wParam;}LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWindow, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){  HDC         hDC;  PAINTSTRUCT ps;  RECT        rect;  switch (msg)   {    case WM_PAINT:      // Draw some text centered in the client area of the main window      hDC = BeginPaint(hWindow, &ps);      GetClientRect(hWindow, &rect);      DrawText(hDC, TEXT("This is a skeleton application!"), -1, &rect,        DT_SINGLELINE | DT_CENTER | DT_VCENTER);      EndPaint(hWindow, &ps);      return 0;    case WM_DESTROY:      // Exit the application      PostQuitMessage(0);      return 0;  }  return DefWindowProc(hWindow, msg, wParam, lParam);}

Resource.h
//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Skeleton Resource Identifiers// C++ Header - Resource.h//-----------------------------------------------------------------//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Icons                    Range : 1000 - 1999//-----------------------------------------------------------------#define IDI_SKELETON        1000#define IDI_SKELETON_SM     1001

Skeleton.rc
//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Skeleton Resources// RC Source - Skeleton.rc//-----------------------------------------------------------------//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Include Files//-----------------------------------------------------------------#include "Resource.h"//-----------------------------------------------------------------// Icons//-----------------------------------------------------------------IDI_SKELETON       ICON         "Skeleton.ico"IDI_SKELETON_SM    ICON         "Skeleton_sm.ico"
up
and up
I think you want the line that reads:

#include "Skeleton.rc"

in Unit1.cpp to read:

#include "Skeleton.h"
It appears that your project is configured as a command line program. The start up code contained in the cox32.obj file is trying to call your main() function, but you don't have one. Your code is for a Windows program, since you have a WinMain() function.
Check yor project settings and make sure that C++ Builder knows you are trying to build a Windows executable, not a command line executable.

Shawn
When using the Windows calculator program, always remember to clear any values from memory before exiting to prevent burn-in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement