2D Graphics

Started by
4 comments, last by spree 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I"m programing with Visual C++ for windows OS. I want to be able to program with 2D graphics for windows. Using GDI with doulbe buffering is too slow for the games I program. Can you please advice me which way to go? like Direct2D? And can anyone explain to me whats SDL and if I can use 2D programing with it? Thanks :)
;)
Advertisement
Welll....

For strictly 2D things, i reccomend the SDL API. It is a 2D API, and it's very well documented and put together, plus not that hard to use. It also handles input, timing, threading, to a certain degree sound, and some other little useful things. SDL is what i have learned to do 2D games, and i would highly suggest you try it.

If you are planning on using/learning 3D eventually it is good also because an OpenGL window can be set up using SDL.

My 2.5 cents.

To find out more info on SDL, go to http://www.libsdl.org and start a-readin.

gib.son
SDL is very easy to use and perfect for beginners. I have some introductory tutorials for it on my site.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Thanks for the pointers.
But can I use all the windows dialogs with SDL?
I do need some sort of API like buttons,windows and etc.,
;)
how much c++ do you know? vc++ is not a language, it is microsofts compiler for the c++ language, as microsoft word is to english.
I'm a good c++ programeer. What I ment is that I program with win32 API.
What i wanted to know, if I can use the win32API with the SDL 2D graphics.
Do I need to create my own tools like buttons windows and etc using SDL?
;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement