Help 2D Graphics

Started by
4 comments, last by Myopic Rhino 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I"m programing with Visual C++ for windows OS. I want to be able to program with 2D graphics for windows. Using GDI with doulbe buffering is too slow for the games I program. Can you please advice me which way to go? like Direct2D? And can anyone explain to me whats SDL and if I can use 2D programing with it? Thanks :)
;)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by spree
Hello, I"m programing with Visual C++ for windows OS.
I want to be able to program with 2D graphics for windows. Using GDI with doulbe buffering is too slow for the games I program. Can

GDI can be pretty fast. Of course, if you want to be 1600x1200x32 bits then GDI will be pretty slow. But if you want to use a lower resolution then GDI can be pretty fast.

you please advice me which way to go? like Direct2D?

There is no such thing as Direct2D (Google gave me an incredible 320 hits for this word). What you call Direct2D is probably the deprecated DirectDraw, which was part of DirectX. It is still usable with the lastest DirectX release but is not supported by microsoft.

Programming DirectX is not very difficult, but I do not encourage this if you are new to C++.

And can anyone explain to me whats SDL and if I can use 2D programing with it?

SDL is - like DirectDraw - a library which ease teh development of graphic applications. SDL provides support for 2D, 3D, sound, input, and so on. It is probably easier to use than DirectDraw - the setup is very simple - and powerfull enough to allow you to create great games.

HTH,
Thanks for the advice.
;)
AND DO NOT CROSSPOST.

We are not teh stupid. Asking a question twice will not give you 2x more answers. Read the FAQ before posting.
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
AND DO NOT CROSSPOST.

We are not teh stupid. Asking a question twice will not give you 2x more answers. Read the FAQ before posting.

Maybe he didn´t know in which forum to post it? =i I wasn´t sure if the two topics I posted actually belonged in graphics Programming and Theory either.. it is hard to know when you are new and there are 50 different forums...
I'm closing this one. It's an appropriate topic in For Beginners, but not here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement