Final Tactics - A strategy game using OpenGL! - v0.4

Started by
5 comments, last by KostasVl 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello! I have uploaded a demo of my first game here: Final Tactics v0.4. Here is a screenshot: FinalTactiscScreenShot.jpg Final Tactics is a turn based strategy game, but not one with a "Player's Turn" and an "Enemy's Turn". Each unit on the battlefield gets a turn independently, based on their speed parameter. They can perform one move and/or one action per turn (attack or defence). A rock-paper-scissors approach is used to determine the effectiveness of attacks between the three different types of units (similar to the counter chain system in Warcraft 3!). You win by defeating all of the enemy's units. These ideas were borrowed from my favorite games: Squaresoft's Final Fantasy Tactics and Blizzard's Warcraft series! The gameplay is pretty much complete. At the moment the AI is not implemented, all the enemy is doing is randomly move around. You can turn various parameters of the game on/off, see the in-game instructions. Final Tactics is being developed in C++, using OpenGL and the SmartWin++ GUI library. If anyone wants to know how I did things, I'll be glad to help. I'm developing the game as a final year project (wish me luck!). Comments of any kind are more than welcome!! Especially if you notice any errors, unusually low FPS, etc... Regards, Kostas [Edited by - KostasVl on February 18, 2005 6:08:14 AM]
---For a gamer, programming is the ultimate game. - Henk RogersSee my first game here: Final Tactics (328KB)
Advertisement
Just some constructive critisism: I feel like the game is lacking difficulty. Like the enemies do nothing at all. Plus, 2 clicks and a guy is dead. I would implement some AI and damage system. You also might want to make a bigger map area and set the units farther apart. But it looks nice. Good job.
Some screenshots for those of us not in windows at present would be appreciated.
Thank you for your comments! I guess I still have a lot to learn: by "demo" I meant more like an engine demo. The gameplay is not fully there yet. (I'll edit that post!). Of course I will implement a damage system and AI of some sort. Plus as many other things as I can, before May 2005 (my deadline for the project, wish me luck!).

Here is a screenshot: FinalTactiscScreenShot.jpg

Thanks again!
Kostas
---For a gamer, programming is the ultimate game. - Henk RogersSee my first game here: Final Tactics (328KB)
its still good, the best I have done is pong, I am working on a more advanced game now.
I think you should include a Help file, regarding what the game is all about, what the objectives are, etc. A story. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.
For the rest, looks nice.
Thank you Marmin! The gameplay is not finished yet, so I haven't thought about adding a story. Basically it will be a turn based strategy game, but not one with a "Player's Turn" and an "Enemy's Turn". Each unit on the battlefield will be getting turns independently, based on their speed parameter. They can perform one move and/or one action per turn. You win by defeating all of the enemy's units. This idea was borrowed from my favorite game: Squaresoft's Final Fantasy Tactics!

I have included a dialog box at the beginning of the program, which shows you what you can do. To be honest, the aim of my project is to create a reasonably competent game, from a software engineering point of view. I don't think I'll be adding much more than a basic story.

Thank you guys! Your comments are really appreciated!
Kostas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement