Question on OGRE

Started by
8 comments, last by Spudder 19 years, 2 months ago
I've been trying to roll my own game engine for a while, and I'm just hung up on the structure or the rendering portion - and I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever actually get to a game. So I've been thinking about using OGRE, but I'm not sure how good it is. I'd ask at OGRE's website, but I think they might be a bit biased :) So, what types of experiences have you all had with OGRE?
Advertisement
excellent 3d engine, highly recommended.
IMHO OGRE is the best free rendering engine. It will definately take time to get a good handle on how to properly use it, but its worth the effort. The documentation is not fantastic, but the forums are active so its not hard to find some help -- usually.

hTh

moe.ron
Just started using Ogre recently with the new release. Feature wise it looks very good, but it was a little annoying to set up at first. You're required to include a resources.cfg and a plugins.cfg, but it doesn't matter if they're empty, so I don't see why it can't just ignore the fact that they're not there, and personally I'd rather do all that config internally.

Still, it's not too shabby at all. It's ridiculously easy to have it rendering a few models, a terrain, and a skybox. You could probably have a basic RTS going in a month. Compared to Torque, it's a godsend.
I think I'm going to use OGRE. But one last question - I'm making a rail-based shooter (think Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox), does OGRE support that kind of scripted Camera movement, or does it only work for standard 3rd/1st person perspectives?
Quote:I think I'm going to use OGRE. But one last question - I'm making a rail-based shooter (think Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox), does OGRE support that kind of scripted Camera movement, or does it only work for standard 3rd/1st person perspectives?

There is a camera demo included that demonstrates just that!

I've just finished building my own engine based on OGRE - as opposed to using torque/CS. Just remember that it's a graphics *renderer* and not a game engine. For a game, you'll need to implement your own sound, input and such (However, OGRE does depend on SDL for it's internal input options). But it does what it does very well.

And never feel afraid to ask anything on the forums, they're very responsive and helpful - IMO one of the best communities out there.
"This I Command" - Serpentor, Ruler of C.O.B.R.A
Quote:Original post by zarthrag

Just remember that it's a graphics *renderer* and not a game engine. For a game, you'll need to implement your own sound, input and such (However, OGRE does depend on SDL for it's internal input options).

That's what turned me on to OGRE. I wanted to develop my own game engine, but I was getting trapped working on just my renderer - so I started looking for alternatives :)
If you're looking for networking, RakNet looks pretty good. Sadly, the site is down, and has been since about Jan 26th (google's last cache).

If anyone has a copy of the latest version they can share, it'd be much appreciated.
We are using Ogre for our prototype game. Is excellent. But keep in mind its just a rendering engine, u might need to use other libraries like for sound, collision etc. and its true documentation is not good enough. i'll give it 8 out of 10 considering the cost, which is FREE. Also there r many addon projects in ogre which anybody can use.

cYa
It may only be a rendering engine but it does have built in keyboard/mouse input and an additional plug-in to allow the use of ODE for physics. The only areas truly missing features are sound and networking for which there exist several extremely capable libraries.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement