Find COM Objects

Started by
3 comments, last by WebsiteWill 19 years, 2 months ago
We are switching servers here at work and we have a list of COM objects that we need to move over to the new server. Is there a way to find out where these objects are installed so we can copy them over? It's not exactly game related, but you guys are usually quick with the replys. Thanks! Webby
Advertisement
Very easy, simply go and read your DEPLOYMENT PLAN, this should list exactly what software set is required for the server to operate.

What? You don't have one? You expect anything to work?

You can't just copy a .dll file, regsvr32 it and expect it to work. There's no guarantee that a COM class does not require additional libraries, configuration, or other things (datafiles, services etc) installed on your box.

Therefore you should run the installer for the relevant component / application which provides the COM class rather than just copying the .dll (as that probably won't work).

That's why you need your deployment plan.

Therefore, go and try to work out what software you need, and try it on your test box. Repeat the process from a blank (i.e. just Windows) box, until you know *exactly* which versions of which software needs to be installed. Disc images or virtualisation may prove handy when doing this.

Mark
These are custom COM objects that we are looking to copy (thus we know what the dependencies are). What we are trying to do is devise a method of deploying al of these custom dlls to the new server in a streamlined manner.

As for a DEPLOYMENT PLAN, yeah sure... You try inheriting a system from many teams before you and see if you get any sort of deployment plan in the package :P

We know what it is we need on the new server, what we don't know are the paths to a lot of this stuff. And again, these are specific dlls we are looking for, nothing that comes with an installer. Those are easy...

Webby

search the registry. Once you find the name get its CLSID the serach in the CLSID directory for the CLSID and it will give you the path. THat's how cocreateinstance does it so it should be good for you!!.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Looks like some custom programming.
I was hoping for an API call that I could make that would return the path but if not...

Thanks,
Webby

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement