Sign in to follow this  
roger_hq

OpenGL DirectInput equivelant

Hi, I'm sure you've seen this post before, but the search for me isn't turning up anything useful. I'm working on a D3D app, but for some reason I'm getting nervous about DirectX going away or being unsupported in future versions of windows, and contemplating the jump to OpenGL. Its been a long time since I used OpenGL, and I was wondering that since OpenGL would obviously take care of the graphics portion of my app, is there such a thing as an input library to replace DirectInput? I also understand that OpenAL can be used for sound, so I think I would be covered with that. My main concern is finding a free and easy-to-use input manager that gets direct access to keyboard and input device stuff. I'm not particularly interested with using SDL, for various reasons. Thanks for any/all replies. Cheers, roger_hq

Quote:
Original post by roger_hq
is there such a thing as an input library to replace DirectInput?

Unless you want to use the Win32 input, there is not that I am aware of. I know SDL uses DirectDraw on Win32 platforms, but I do not think it uses DI as well. I've looked at the source before and came to that conclusion, but I may be off about the DI. When you go to linux and such, I am not sure what it uses really.

What I reccomend you do is use a OpenGL library that has input built in already. Take a look at GLFW. It has a great input system and is a very nice framework. I will be using that for our game. It's fairly easy to setup and use, but building it has a few quirks they don't really seem to mention. There are of course other libraries, such as GLUT and FreeGLUT, so that is what you would need to look into for a better input system.

As for OpenAL, good luck! I have been working with it for some time now, making my own audio library and it really is a pain. There's a lot to it that is not really explained and you have to figure out how everything works and what you can and can't do the hard way. Nevertheless, it's free and cross platform, so if you need some help with that feel free to PM me.

- Drew

Drew,

I'm intrigued. One thing I'm trying to avoid is using something with a license that says I have to release all of my source code, give away my 1st born, etc. ad nauseum. I'm also very apprehensive about continuing with D3D, as I know microsoft just LOVES to stop supporting API's and with WGF coming out soon I fear that DirectX support will vanish. It looks like its pretty platform independent, which is of course good. I would like that too. So have you developed with it much? Do you know of any real-world games that have used it?

Thanks!

roger_hq

Quote:
...for some reason I'm getting nervous about DirectX going away or being unsupported in future versions of windows...
Don't.

Quote:
...is there such a thing as an input library to replace DirectInput?
No. For Windows, just about nothing has as much low-level access to the hardware as the various DirectX components. Very few input device manufacturers go to the trouble of writing complex device drivers to expose functionality for real-time APIs. DirectInput implements a meta-driver, which the manufacturers write to (it's easier) and everyone lives happily ever after.

Of course, if all you're interested in is the keyboard and mouse, then you didn't really need DirectInput to begin with. The GDI GetKeyboardState API has high enough resolution for your most likely purposes, for example.

Quote:
...microsoft just LOVES to stop supporting APIs
Actually, that's a very recent development, quite possibly in response to changes in developer behavior. For instance, VC6.0 was frequently blasted for its faulty implementation of the scope of for, but Microsoft took the right approach in maintaining the erroneous behavior as a default, with a switch to correct it, in order to support legacy code. VC7.x inverts that, requiring a switch to restore the incorrect scoping and compile legacy code without modification. There is also evidence of the Windows team having worked around the failings of third-party vendors, including IBM.

The architecture of DirectX and the decision to build it on top of COM was specifically chosen to provide backwards compatibility, and you can still find all the reference information for old interfaces in MSDN (with a warning message at the top of the page that the content has been archived, and may no longer be accurate). Doubtless, the same will be applied to 8.x and 9.x going forward. What more you want, I don't know.

Consequently, it seems that you are falling victim to hype and MS-bashing, causing you unnecessary apprehension and wasting your time. Your projects are suffering while you resolve this non-issue.

To each his own, I suppose.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry for the delay, started typing this and got distracted [lol]. Well to be honest, I have not use GLFW that much. However, I decided to give it a try because I saw a game they have been working on with it - Machinations. It just gave me a sense of awe of how awesome it was. I knew that this library definitly had to be worth while. Here's a simple sample application that I was working woth. All it does is draw a rotating triangle. It also displays the GL video info to the console window.

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h> // For printf(), fopen() etc.
#include "glfw.h" // For GLFW, OpenGL and GLU

#pragma comment ( lib, "opengl32.lib" )
#pragma comment ( lib, "glu32.lib" )
#pragma comment ( lib, "GLFW.lib" )

void CalculateFrameRate();

void Init()
{
int width, height; // Window dimensions

// Get window size
glfwGetWindowSize( &width, &height );

// Make sure that height is non-zero to avoid division by zero
height = height < 1 ? 1 : height;

// Set viewport
glViewport( 0, 0, width, height );

// Clear color and depht buffers
glClearColor( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f );
glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT );

// Set up projection matrix
glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION ); // Select projection matrix
glLoadIdentity(); // Start with an identity matrix
gluPerspective( // Set perspective view
65.0, // Field of view = 65 degrees
(double)width/(double)height, // Window aspect (assumes square pixels)
1.0, // Near Z clipping plane
100.0 // Far Z clippling plane
);

// Set up modelview matrix
glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW ); // Select modelview matrix
gluLookAt( // Set camera position and orientation
0.0, 0.0, 10.0, // Camera position (x,y,z)
0.0, 0.0, 0.0, // View point (x,y,z)
0.0, 1.0, 0.0 // Up-vector (x,y,z)
);

char* message = (char*)glGetString(GL_VENDOR);
char* message2 = (char*)glGetString(GL_RENDERER);
char* message3 = (char*)glGetString(GL_VERSION);
char* message4 = (char*)glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS);

printf("Vendor: %s\nRenderer: %s\nVersion: %s\n Extensions: %s\n",message,message2,message3,message4);
}

void Draw( void )
{
if( glfwGetKey( GLFW_KEY_F1 ) )
{
}

if( glfwGetKey( GLFW_KEY_F2 ) )
{
}

if( glfwGetKey( GLFW_KEY_F3 ) )
{
}

if( glfwGetKey( GLFW_KEY_F4 ) )
{
}

if( glfwGetKey( GLFW_KEY_F5 ) )
{
}

double t = glfwGetTime(); // Time (in seconds)

// Clear color and depht buffers
glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT );

gluLookAt
( // Set camera position and orientation
0.0, 0.0, 10.0, // Camera position (x,y,z)
0.0, 0.0, 0.0, // View point (x,y,z)
0.0, 1.0, 0.0 // Up-vector (x,y,z)
);

glTranslatef( 0, 0, -5 );

// Rotate the triangle about the y-axis
glRotatef( 60.0f * (float)t, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f );

// Let us draw a triangle, with color!
glBegin( GL_TRIANGLES ); // Tell OpenGL that we want to draw a triangle
glColor3f( 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f ); // Color for first corner (red)
glVertex3f( -5.0f, -4.0f, 0.0f ); // First corner of the triangle
glColor3f( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f ); // Color for second corner (green)
glVertex3f( 5.0f, -4.0f, 0.0f ); // Second corner of the triangle
glColor3f( 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f ); // Color for third corner (blue)
glVertex3f( 0.0f, 4.5f, 0.0f ); // Third corner of the triangle
glEnd(); // No more triangles...

glFlush();
}

int main( int argc, char **argv )
{
int ok; // Flag telling if the window was opened
int running; // Flag telling if the program is running

// Initialize GLFW
glfwInit();

// Open window
ok = glfwOpenWindow(
640, 480, // Width and height of window
8, 8, 8, // Number of red, green, and blue bits for color buffer
8, // Number of bits for alpha buffer
24, // Number of bits for depth buffer (Z-buffer)
0, // Number of bits for stencil buffer
GLFW_WINDOW // We want a desktop window (could be GLFW_FULLSCREEN)
);

// If we could not open a window, exit now
if( !ok )
{
glfwTerminate();
return 0;
}

// Set window title
glfwSetWindowTitle( "Demo" );

// Enable sticky keys
glfwEnable( GLFW_STICKY_KEYS );

Init();

// Main rendering loop
do
{
CalculateFrameRate();

// Call our rendering function
Draw();

// Swap front and back buffers (we use a double buffered display)
glfwSwapBuffers();

// Check if the escape key was pressed, or if the window was closed
running = !glfwGetKey( GLFW_KEY_ESC ) && glfwGetWindowParam( GLFW_OPENED );
}
while( running );

// Terminate GLFW
glfwTerminate();

// Exit program
return 0;
}

void CalculateFrameRate()
{
static float framesPerSecond = 0.0f; // This will store our fps
static float lastTime = 0.0f; // This will hold the time from the last frame
static char strFrameRate[50] = {0}; // We will store the string here for the window title
float currentTime = GetTickCount() * 0.001f;
++framesPerSecond;
if( currentTime - lastTime > 1.0f )
{
lastTime = currentTime;
sprintf(strFrameRate, "Current Frames Per Second: %d", int(framesPerSecond));
glfwSetWindowTitle( strFrameRate );
framesPerSecond = 0;
}
}

As you can see, that's it! THere's not much you have to do to get up and running. Not only that, I'm sure you could optimize the program flow of it to make it a lot better. That example is just one of those, beginning concept examples. You can greatly expand it.

The main reason I like GLFW is that it takes care of all the details that you would otherwise have to make for your game. Originally I had written my own window class and OpenGL setup code, but it was Win32 specifc. GLFW takes care of it all, much like SDL and GLUT. I personally like this GLFW over SDL already and I've used SDL for quite some time now. It is just a OpenGL wrapper compared to something like SDL that adds in all the SDL specific stuff.

If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to ask. I hope I have covered everything, but I might have missed a few things.

- Drew

Dang you GameDev! That AP was me.

If you are just writing for Win32, take Oluseyi's post into consideration, he's right. I too do not believe that DX will go away anytime soon. It may stop being supported in a few years due to some new break though, but it will not just become useless. Look at DOS - it's had its days yet it still is used, even though WinXP uses it less than previous OS's.

However, I would still use something like GLFW for ease of development and if you were going to have any intrests of going cross platform. I happen to be using DirectInput with my GLFW as a matter of fact. I can get back to you later on during development how it goes with GLFW.

However Oluseyi, when you say
Quote:
Consequently, it seems that you are falling victim to hype and MS-bashing, causing you unnecessary apprehension and wasting your time. Your projects are suffering while you resolve this non-issue.
I think it is in part Microsofts fault as well. I mean the whole deal with the new Visual Studio 2005 Express not comming with the default Win32 components really has a lot of people wary. I mean look at all the people who freak out because they cannot find "windows.h", even though all you have to do is download the platform SDK. I also believe a thread was started a while back relating how much Win32 will be used in the future and how .NET is becoming the more norm. I don't know, it's just one of those insecurity things. I am not worried about it at all though.

- Drew

Oluseyi:

Your first post was spot on. Thank you for the relevant information.

Drew:

That is very good information, it looks like GLFW is very easy to use. I also want it to be feature-rich, which is one reason I like DirectX. I too am struggling with the "support" with MS products, as you say. With recent releases of DX SDK's, I can't use the Winter DX9 SDK because I use VC++ 6.0. I just happen to like that IDE. So I had to roll back to the october SDK just so I could use 6.0 IDE. That seems like a strange way to support your past products to me. VC6.0 isn't that old, and is the Winter DX9 SDK really that different from the October one? Anyways, thats just one example that comes to mind.

One thing that keeps pulling me back to DX, though, is the number of features, esp. in D3DX support (like meshes, etc). Very nice stuff. I would very much like to hear how using either DInput or the functionality in GLFW goes for you. What type of game are you looking to make?

The main reason I bring this whole thing up is that I would like to work on my game idea long term, and be able to constantly add content instead of rewrite core technologies. I don't relish the idea of having to at some point write up a new core portion of the engine just because the API I chose way back in the "before-time" (now) is no longer in favor. I suppose I could just use that as an excuse to learn a new API, but I'd like to _try_ to avoid it if possible.

Cheers,

roger_hq

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
However Oluseyi, ... I think it is in part Microsoft's fault as well. I mean the whole deal with the new Visual Studio 2005 Express not coming with the default Win32 components really has a lot of people wary.
Would you, by any chance, happen to mean Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta? Because, as far as I know, there is no information to suggest that the final release will not either include the Platform SDK or automatically invoke a PSDK download. People are always looking for reasons to freak out when it comes to Microsoft; that some people interpret the minimalistic Express Beta component installs as a sign of a policy shift says nothing of import.

Quote:
I also believe a thread was started a while back relating how much Win32 will be used in the future and how .NET is becoming the more norm.
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? I mean, do you actually like using Win32?

I think too many people are speaking based on inadequate information/experience, or even ignorance. You try implementing a ReBar control hosting dynamic toolbars in Win32, then compare to doing the same in .NET. Remember, Win32 doesn't exist just to piggyback games (which is why I discard most gripes from GameDev).

You don't see anybody on Experts Exchange, The Code Project or DevX whining about the imminent "demise" of Win32, and with good reason.

*hugs win32* i dont mind it much as i hardly interact with it anymore, its like a friend that you dont really get along with in person but you hardly see them so you two stay friends lol. I just felt the need to chime in to respond to Drew's comment about OpenAL, i LOVE openAL, i personally feel its quite intuitive, but i havent dived into anything too spectacularly complex, just automated handling of buffers, the listener and sources, with control over velocity position and gain (everyones entitled to their own opinion though, i just wanted to defend my friend :-) )

just my two cents
-Dan

@Oluseyi - I understand what your point is, but Microsoft should have made this issue clear. They have done things like this in the past and should have learned from them. From my reading in "Writing Solid Code" by Steve Maguire, he recounts a tale (pg 69 for reference) when MS shipped a beta debug version of Excel to its beta testers. They stopped doing this after a a 'prelease' magazine wrote how great the program was but also how it was "about as fast a a three-toed sloth". In their best intrestes, I would personally like to see a disclaimer that explicity makes the point that this indeed is just a beta so not everything is packaged. I'm not saying I felt that way, its just I saw other people who reached that conclusion on, as you say inadequate information/experience, or even ignorance, so I totally agree, but remember how dumb the masses are [wink].

In all honesty, I have no bad remarks in regards to Win32. I like the windows api features that is provides. I also like using MFC as well, even though it is dismissed as horrible on GD. I use it for quick and easy gui's for testing out various components. I feel that everything does have its uses. Right now I'm using it to test out my audio library. I understand that .NET is probabally better and faster than Win32 and ad infinitum of arguments, but I have not made that change, and probabally will not for a bit, but I do agree with the point that this is GameDev, and is meant for games, not general programming.

Anyways thanks for your feed back and such. I hope I have not come across as a fanatic of any sort. I am more the type to just use what's avaliable and use what I have the most experience with.

@Dan - Don't get me wrong either about OpenAL. I think it's great, but there is a lack of resources that tells how it really is supposed to work. From all of the GD and DevMasters tutorials, I was under the impression that you could have a source and buffer from all your sounds, but only 32 being used at once (source wise). What I was doing, modeling from those tuts, was always creating sources and destroying sources. This worked fine until I was at about 100+ sounds, then the whole thing just died. After 5 rewrites, I have finally found a really nice solution I am looking forward to for using, but I still have some more work to do. Maybe I am the one to blame for misinterpreting everything so saying what I did was unfair to OpenAL, but I misinterpreted it from what was avaliable, which really is not much.

More of the problems I had was the fact that you can only use 16bit or lower sounds for it to work. I did not know this at first, so I was just using 24bit wavs I converted from MP3's. Figured that out after looking at the tutorials again and opening the sound files and seeing how they were all 16bit. I do not know if this was stated somewhere or I just missed it. I did however, print out all the avaliable resources on it and looked for it. Next was the fact that I have to use mono-channel files to get position and spatial coordinates to work. For so long I was using stereo and it did not work, so I looked at the tutorial wav files again and saw they were mono. I do not know if I am doing something wrong with the stereo files, but I thought they *should* work.

That was the main basics of why I said it is a pain, but I probabally should have said it 'was' a pain. I have no problem having to figure things out on my own, of which I have done so a lot. I have also used the mailing list as a reference point to any problems I have had, but I have yet to mail them. That is how I found how the 'AL_SOURCE_ABSOLUTE' is deprecated and was the cause of issuing an unsupported command to alSourcei. Last of my gripes was my issues trying to get alcSuspendContext to work, but never could. That problem has yet to be resolved in all of the refrences I have checked.

I am not trying to start a "bash" Product X discussion, but I'm just sharing my experiences and why I have said the things I have. Hope they make sense, and if not, feel free to tell me [smile].

- Drew

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on February 8, 2005 5:36:17 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Anyways thanks for your feed back and such. I hope I have not come across as a fanatic of any sort. I am more the type to just use what's avaliable and use what I have the most experience with.
No problem, and not at all. That's the way it should be.

Cheers.

@Drew_Benton

I guess a few of your problems were down to a case of not RTFM [wink]
I dont know if its relivent now but you really should have a copy of the pdf OpenAL Programmer's Guide.
For example, on the sound positioning problem on page 7 it notes:
AL_ CHANNELS number of channels in buffer, > 1 is valid, but buffer won’t be positioned when played

Granted, the bits arent covered, however I'd have thought 16bit was pretty much the standard *shrugs*

Well that's the thing buddy - I did RTM as well as scoure google for weeks! Not only that I printed it out as well as all of the DevMaster tutorials and read those as well. I will check that page 7 again though, I might just have overlooked it - that or did not make the connection at the time I read it. [wink] Thanks for that heads up though.

[edit] You're right. It's right there [lol]. I'm guessing I did not make the connection that it was referring to mono but rather something else. Oh well, I should re-read this stuff again to see what else I missed [embarrass].

- Drew