• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Where Do I Download C++?

This topic is 4822 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have Heard C++ is really good and i wanted to make a game as a hobby maybe commercial if it is any good Would C++ be acceptable for this i cant find where to download it so please include a download link! :)

Advertisement
The first step is realizing what C++ is. C++ is a programming language so you do not "Download C++". You download a compiler that understands the C++ language and can translate it into machine code. The links previously provided will lead you to information on compilers :)

It sounds to me like you have little knowledge of programming. If this is so, and you want to make a game purely as a hobby, then I recommend C# over C++. The syntax between the two languages is similar, however C# is considerably easier to learn and to write complex software in, as the compiler automatically handles the low-level tasks such as memory management.

If your actually serious about getting into the game development industry, then go with C++, as it is the industry standard and you need as much experience as possible if you're going to be a professional programmer.

Otherwise, as I said earlier, I would go with C#. For more info, just do a Google on "C# game programming" or search the forums here at GameDev.

Quote:
Original post by game mercenary
I diss-agree, c++ is the best, more people use it and it is cross platform to strat with. and I dont know if there is a free c# compiler, c++ has tons.

Ehem... "most people" use Visual Basic. If you want a slack learning curve, VB, java or some other high-level language is the way to go, not C++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement