Where Do I Download C++?

Started by
15 comments, last by Rhaal 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by game mercenary
I diss-agree, c++ is the best, more people use it and it is cross platform to strat with. and I dont know if there is a free c# compiler, c++ has tons.

First of all - C++ is all but cross-platform per-se. If you use the Windows API, your code will not compile under any platform other than MS Windows. I won't even start with binary compatibility and endian-ness. Java for one is cross-platform and to a certain extend even .NET is. BTW, the C# compiler is free (e.g. I don't know of any commercial C# compiler[wink]). Enough rant - I'd vote for Python. C++ is not a bad programming language but IMHO not suited at all for beginners.

Have fun,
Pat
Advertisement
c++ is the best

Best for what? Definitely not the best to learn how to program. (that doesn't mean C# is either). There is no such thing as "the best" language.

Quote:more people use it

And many people eat in fast-food restaurants. That doesn't make it any healthier.

Quote: and it is cross platform to strat with.

Writing cross-platform C++ code is much harder than, say, writing cross-platform Python code, if only because Python's standard library is much more extensive than C++'s. In C++, as soon as you want to do something that has to do with, say, networking or graphics, you need to either find a third-party cross-platform library, or resort to platform-dependent stuff.

Quote:and I dont know if there is a free c# compiler, c++ has tons.

Mono. And, yes, that makes C# cross-platform, just like C++. [grin]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
The guy said he wanted to learn C++. Instead of confusing him with a bunch of different suggestions for OTHER languages, why not just tell him how he should learn what he wants to learn? (Tutorials, free compilers, books, etc.).

Does it really sound like this guy is going to be able to judge Python vs. C++ vs. C# vs. Java vs. VB based on your arguments and make a choice? No. So stop confusing him and give him what he asked for, not something else.
Quote:Original post by yeznik
I have Heard C++ is really good and i wanted to make a game as a hobby maybe commercial if it is any good Would C++ be acceptable for this i cant find where to download it so please include a download link! :)

Try this:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dev-cpp/devcpp4991setup.exe

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

Free C++ compiler from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

This is the same compiler that ships with Visual C++ .Net without the IDE.
I like dev-c++ beter
I diss-agree, c++ is the best, more people use it and it is cross platform to strat with. and I dont know if there is a free c# compiler, c++ has tons.

if you are to not use c++, do java, not microsofts attempt at it (c#)

I like dev-c++ beter

Look, this is not the lounge. You do not need to chime in with your opinions after every post. The original question was whether C++ was viable for game programming.

OP: In short, yes. In long, start here.
- A momentary maniac with casual delusions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement