Sign in to follow this  
Igloo

[.net] MapEditor...in VB.Net??

Need help. I've been planning to make a 2d rpg but I can't figure out how to make a level editor in VB.Net. I know lots of you would think that im a newbie but the thing is I've been programming in several language for the past 4 years. If anyone could help I would appreciate. Thanks

Sry I didnt read my post befor posting it.. lol Ok the thing is I want to know how to devide a picture box so i can put a couple of small pics(tiles) in it at different places. These tiles cant be overlapped. That is what exactly i need to know.

These no standard support for this. You need to inherit from Picturebox and override the OnPaint method (you can also use a Panel instead of a Picturebox)

This way you can create your own control. In the OnPaint you draw the tiles according to a grid you defined.

Cheers

I wrote mine in c#, which from what I've seen is pretty similar to vb as far as design goes. Basically what you need is a way to get tiles into your editor (assuming the game is tile based, which it probably is if it's a 2d rpg), and a way to select those tiles and place them on a grid.

I use two separate forms, one for the map and one for the tiles. The tile form is controlled by the map form (it follows the map form, closes when the map form closes, etc). I use gdi+ methods to draw the tiles directly to the forms, accounting for status bar, scroll bar, and menu offsets.

It's pretty simple to write a level editor with a .net language, especially c# or vb.net. If you can't figure out how to make a level editor it's because you haven't spent enough time thinking about it. Just write down everything you need it to do, draw a simple version of the interface, design it with the awesome form designer that c#/vb.net uses, and then you're 60% finished.

Good luck, and here is my editor (requires .net 2.0) if you need some ideas. Hope it helps.

Hey Coleco do you think I could contact you out of gamedev, I would like to talk to you.

my email : john@immane.com

Hope to here from you!

Coleco: I'm not sure what you're looking for... When you use a Forms designer in visual Studio 2005 you just add a menutoolbar and all the cool effects are right there...

Cheers