Resources with VC++ 2005 beta

Started by
8 comments, last by Dko 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi. Im having a little problem when compiling if I try to use rc files in the beta of VC++ 2005 Express edition. Getting an error like this. Compiling resources... .\Resource.h(5) : fatal error RC1004: unexpected end of file found I think this is probibly because I need a resource editor/compiler. If thats the case could someone tell me of one I could dl and get working with VC++? If not here is my Resource.h. Maybe someone can tell me whats causing the error?

//-----------------------------------------------------
// Icons				Range : 1000 - 1999
//-----------------------------------------------------
#define IDI_SKELETON		1000
#define IDI_SKELETON_SM		1001

Advertisement
Hi, I'm not sure if vc2005 supports resource files yet? If you have started a project in an old version then you can use the resource, but I don't think you can make. I don't have any evidence for this except I tried doing one but it wouldn't (or I couldn't).
*sighs* Wish there was some way to get it to compile with resources. :/ My one book on game programing uses them quite reguarly. >_<
Could someone tell me if I used a seperate program to compile the resource file would that work?
OK, firstly VC++ 2005 Express definitely DOES allow resource files to be used - mine uses them without any problem. What it doesnt allow is for VISUAL creation of the file, but if you are writing it by hand that is fine.

Have you just for the resource.h file? Or do you also have a .rc file? Could you post the code for both please, and will try and help.

Ols
I know this is somewhat... unrelated, but looking at your code,
are you reading the book 'Beggining Game Programming' by Michael Morrison, or perhaps the older edition, 'Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 hours'?
A JPEG is worth a thousand and twenty four DWORD's. ;)
Note: Due to vacationing my website will not be updated till late-August. Of course I still have internet, but who wants to program during a vacation?
Acctualy I am. I got the 24 hours book cheap. Does that make a difference? Well anyway here be the code in the rc file.

//-----------------------------------------------------// Include Files//-----------------------------------------------------#include "Resource.h"//-----------------------------------------------------// Icons//-----------------------------------------------------IDI_SKELETON		ICON	"Skeleton.ico"IDI_SKELETON_SM 	ICON	"Skeleton_sm.ico"

EDIT: Ive looked up the error and its something to do with not having line feed and carriage return characters? Oo And when I decide to add a line to my Resouce.h I get these errors instead.

Linking...
Skeleton.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z) referenced in function _WinMain@16
LIBCMTD.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _main referenced in function _mainCRTStartup
Debug/Chapter 2.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
Is there a reason I have to keep making topics over and over till I finnaly get an answer? >_< Did I do something wrong?
You haven't defined a WndProc function. That's what that error is.

Quote:Original post by Dko
Is there a reason I have to keep making topics over and over till I finnaly get an answer? >_< Did I do something wrong?

No, but that's getting dangerously close. Just be patient and you'll get help here :)
- A momentary maniac with casual delusions.
Well I don't mean like every 5 minutes I make one. I mean more like every 24 hours because I might be given a few hints as to the problem and then I come back with new info and thats all I get.

Hemm... I thought I had made a WndProc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement