Arabic etc. in VB?

Started by
2 comments, last by Wyrframe 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I've tried copying and pasting symbols from the character map into the Text and Caption properties, but they just come out as question marks. How can I make such characters from Arabic, Hebrew and Russian etc. show normally on my controls as they should?
Advertisement
I don't know about VB, but the coming up as question marks is what happens when windows attempts to convert a unicode character to ASCII. You're going to have to figure out how to implement unicode into your VB program or how to implement code pages for the operating system's language (depending on how your program is supposed to be localized). I'm sorry I can't help more, I don't use VB. Try looking up stuff on unicode and MBCS in VB.
----Erzengel des Lichtes光の大天使Archangel of LightEverything has a use. You must know that use, and when to properly use the effects.♀≈♂?
What version of VB is this, 6/earlier or .NET? And what is your target OS? (Windows 9X under English, Windows 9X under Arabic or Windows 2k/XP)
If I remember right, the VB editor and GUI uses ASCII + your current default code page (which on most Canada/US systems comes configured to ISO-8859-1(Western European?)). Which explains why I can't type or copy/paste Chinese into the control elements, as I just tried out for myself.

However, the VB runtime does use unicode, and its internal string representation is UTF-16. But to get unicode strings on-screen and into form elements, you have to use resource files.

There's a tutorial out there somewhere on that, I just can't remember where. Google it.
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement