Compiler

Started by
12 comments, last by ao 23 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by ao

Ok, thanks for the help guys. I''ll dig a little deeper into gcc. I was thinking about looking at perl as well, but I really want to do it in c since I have done all my previous scripts in c.

So you insist on not heeding my advice on PHP then? I have 13 years experience programming in C and I am generally not fond of learning new languages just for fun, but I will tell you, PHP is easy, it is like C, and it helps by shifting your attention from the nuances of programming CGI to the more productive task of designing dynamic web pages. Plus, the interface to MySQL makes the creation and maintenance of data easy.

Advertisement
Actually I have used php before and yes it is easy. Although I''m not an expert with it, I cant be sure that the server I put my stuff on will have php setup on it. Also I don''t know if php can do what I need.

Can php open a connection to another server somewhere else to send data to? Heck, I don''t even know if cgi will allow me to do that, but I''m gonna try.

ao
Play free Java games at: www.infinitepixels.com

Can php open a connection to another server somewhere else to send data to? Heck, I don''t even know if cgi will allow me to do that, but I''m gonna try.

Sounds like a job employing sockets. C and Java come to mind for that. I don''t know if PHP can let you do that, but it does have a growing set of functionality.

Actually I have used php before and yes it is easy. Although I''m not an expert with it, I cant be sure that the server I put my stuff on will have php setup on it. Also I don''t know if php can do what I need.

ao

PHP will let you open a socket connection to another server (although it''s not certain that the _sysadmins_ allow that ). http://se.php.net/manual/ref.sockets.php. Perl can also do that
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement