Google Interview Questions

Started by
79 comments, last by way2lazy2care 12 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Coward
Quote:Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
3) You have 10,000 Apache servers, and 1 day to generate $1,000,000. What do you do?

Sell them for $100 each?

No, sell them for $150 each, and pretend you sold them for $100 each. :D
Advertisement
first, if compiler doesn't optimize too well, just

void stackdir(){
int a,b;
if((&a)>(&b)){cout<<"stack grows down";}else
if((&a)<(&b))cout<<"stack grows up";}else
cout<<"something is wrong, compiler is waay too smart";
}

, that must work in debug mode with all optimizations turned off.

But if compiler is optimizing...

There is some hope that not-so-well optimizing compiler will not able to optimize that out:
int recursive_fun(int level){
if(level>1){return recursive_fun(level-1);}
if(level==1)return int(&level)-recursive_fun(0);
return int(&level);
};
int n=5+random()%20;
int i=recursive_fun(n);
if(i>0){cout<<"stack grows down";}else
if(i<0)cout<<"stack grows up";}else
cout<<"something is wrong, compiler is waay too smart";

If that will be optimized too, it will be needed to add some "useful load" to program, make it compute something.

as about blades. If you are n times smaller, your mass is n3 times smaller, and your surface area is n2 times smaller. Accordinly to laws of physics, if only size will be scaled, you will somehow die, the most obvious way is that you'll lose your heat quickly and die even if themperature is around 20C. Or that you'll evaporate all your water through skin, etc. Okay, let you survived. For that, time needs to be scaled apporiately. That is, your speed of chemical reactions will need to be n times faster. So you will be only n2 or less times weaker, with n3 lower mass. Somewhat like n times lower gravitation, but even cooler. With such ratio, you should be able to just jump out. Or run around that thing, using inertia force to keep in touch with walls, and get out by spiral. Also, 60 seconds should be lot longer for you, so you should have more time to think...
If you'll survive somehow without becoming relatively stronger, your clothes will be too weak to stop blades.

[Edited by - Dmytry on February 9, 2005 10:29:58 AM]
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Quote:Original post by Cold_Steel
They just look like flat blades. Eventually, I supposed running an empty blender would kill the motor.

Why would it kill the motor? Placing too much load might kill it, but too little wouldn't.

Anyway, to the blender question, I don't think there is any way to survive. The clothes would be so small they are unlikely to stop the motor. And even if the motor is stoped, what can you do? Your clothes are not a rope, and you can't throw them over the edge. Even if you could, you'd need some sort of anchor at the other end so they won't fall back.
The correct answer would be: "Coming at peace with yourself and with the Universe" :D

If blender is empty, motor of course consumes less power, but almost all power it consumes is lost inside motor... and if there's something in blender, some power is spend on mixing and eventually heating that drink....
Even better response to this one:
Quote:Q: "You are shrunk to the height of a nickel and your mass is proportionally reduced so as to maintain your original density. You are then thrown into an empty glass blender. The blades will start moving in 60 seconds. What do you do?"

I'd get out.
Googles test should be, "What is the answer to the world, universe and everything".

If you say 42, you don't get the job..
Quote:Original post by JexMX
Googles test should be, "What is the answer to the world, universe and everything".

I guess google has to fire its search engine
Quote:Original post by Nemesis2k2
Quote:Original post by Coward
3) You have 10,000 Apache servers, and 1 day to generate $1,000,000. What do you do?

Sell them for $100 each?

No, sell them for $150 each, and pretend you sold them for $100 each. :D

Well, I am pretty sure they would be like, write some code to solve some insane problem, and generate billions of dollars overnight. Then donate the profit to charity. I don't know.
Quote:Original post by JexMX

My response would be that "the world, the universe, and everything" is not a question, and so I cannot give an answer.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by kSquared
Q: "How many gas stations would you say there are in the United States?"

I would say there were five if I didn't want to answer the question properly. It doesn't ask how many you think there are.
2) What is the most beautiful equation you have ever seen? Explain.

x=2. This equation is satisfied by 2. It follows that there are numbers that satisfy the equation x = 2. From that, it follows that there are numbers. From this simple equation one can settle one of the deepest philosophical questions about mathematics. Certainly a beautiful result.

However, it's almost certain most people will put eip + 1 = 0

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement