Are most processors x86 based?

Started by
6 comments, last by Miserable 19 years, 2 months ago
As the title questions, are most processors (on personal computers) based on the x86 architecture? I know most of Intel's are, but is the Itanium? As for AMD, they are x86 based too correct? Even the AMD-64's and FX's? Thanks for the help :) [Edited by - Nietsnie on February 8, 2005 7:24:22 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nietsnie
As the title questions, are most processors based on the x86 architecture? I know most of Intel's are, but is the Itanium? As for AMD, they are x86 based too correct? Even the AMD-64's and FX's?

Thanks for the help :)

Itanium isn't. It's based on EPIC (I think that's what they call it), a RISC-like instruction set.

Most of AMD's are x86 as well. (K6, Duron, Athlon, Athlon 64). I think they have some small-scale embedded processor line that's based on MIPS. Not entirely sure on that though.

I doubt that "most" processors are x86-compatible. There are zillions of processors in everything from cars to mobile phones to dishwashers, and they're not x86-based. Neither is a Mac.
AMD chips are x86 ISA, VIA chips are x86 ISA. Itanium is not; its ISA is called IA-64. PowerPC chips (in Macs) use the POWER ISA (ISA = Industry Standard Architecture).

To answer the question, no, most processors are not x86-based, since most processors are embedded microcontrollers that are likely to be either Motorola 68k or ARM processors, which are not x86.
The Majority of Desktop PC and Laptops Are x86 based, and with the AMD-64 they have extended the x86 instruction sets onto it. The industry was expecting Intel to follow suit with this, but I have neglected to check that, I suspect they have. All of the older AMD Chips (K6, K7) are x86 compliant.
PPC is becoming a bigger market (for desktops) all the time, as the mac becomes more popular.
Quote:Original post by jdhardy
To answer the question, no, most processors are not x86-based, since most processors are embedded microcontrollers that are likely to be either Motorola 68k or ARM processors, which are not x86.

I think he is talking about personal computers. If I had to guess, I would say that most personal computers have a x86 based microprocesor.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Sorry, I meant personal computers. Thanks for the info!
Quote:Original post by Nietsnie
Sorry, I meant personal computers. Thanks for the info!

Yes, most home PCs are using processors based on x86. The most noteworthy exception would be Macs, which use a RISC architecture of some sort IIRC.
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
Yes, most home PCs are using processors based on x86. The most noteworthy exception would be Macs, which use a RISC architecture of some sort IIRC.

PowerPC (PPC), as was mentioned above.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement