C++: 3 Dim array - passing as a 2 Dim array.

Started by
6 comments, last by CJH 19 years, 2 months ago
I couldn't find any articles/tutorials dealing with this, so here goes: Basically in my Map class I have the tiles broken down by room id, then row and col per room. This creates a 3 dim array. In the room class, I just have the 2 dim array of rows and cols. I'm looking to pass only the 2 dim portion of the Maps 3 dim array into the Room class. Hope that makes sense. :

Load_Map(tile_t tiles[][ROWS_PER_ROOM][COLS_PER_ROOM])
{
   // Load tiles into m_tiles[][][];
}

Load_Room(DWORD roomID)
{
   Init_Room(m_tiles[roomID]);
}

Init_Room(tile_t tiles[][COLS_PER_ROOM])
{
   // Load tiles into m_tiles[][];
}
Thanks for your time.
Advertisement
all you need todo is pass the tiles array with the first index filled in:

Init_Room(tiles[roomID]);

Then its only passin your a double pointer which is what your after.
Ah, alright. Good to know I was on the right track. :)
Me again. :) More array fun!

Okay here's what I got, and it's giving me an error (commented below).

tile_t* m_pTiles;void Func1(tile_t tiles[][COL_LENGTH]){   m_pTiles = &tiles[0][0];}const tile_t& GetTile(DWORD r, DWORD c){   return m_pTiles[r][c];   // Error on this line!}

Where'd I goof this one up at? :) Basically I'm looking to snag a pointer to the 2 dim array and still use the data as a 2 dim array, rather than copying the data to a new array.
Just realized that the error may help:

error C2676: binary '[' : 'tile_t' does not define this operator or a conversion to a type acceptable to the predefined operator

If I comment out one of the [#]'s it works just fine (basically treating it as a single array - m_pTiles[r];). But it's a pointer to a 2 dim array. :
I guess I'll do some hunting around to see how I can manually calculate the [r][c] position, although that's a bit undesirable as I'd prefer not to do calculations.

While I'm here, is it possible to do the following and have two arrays point to the same array?:

tile_t array[][length];

Func1(tile_t a[][length]) { array = a; }

?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Well I found this: http://www.pa.msu.edu/courses/1996spring/PHY405/lect3e.html

It looks like he's declaring pointers to array with

T (*array)[r][c];

I'm going to give it a shot. Assuming I'm reading the syntax correctly, it will hopefully work. :)

[Edited by - wyrd on February 9, 2005 5:44:32 PM]
your setting the pointer m_pTiles to a DOUBLE pointer tiles. Remember that an array is just a pointer, so a double array is a double pointer. This should fix your problem:

tile_t **m_pTiles;
Passing around multiple-dimensional arrays is difficult to get right in general - and you can't return plain arrays, at all, period. Since ROWS_PER_ROOM and COLS_PER_ROOM appear to be constant, my recommendation would be to make a struct "wrapper" for a room's cells:

struct Grid {  tile_t _[ROWS_PER_ROOM][COLS_PER_ROOM];};Load_Map(Grid tiles[]) {   // Load tiles into m_tiles[];}Load_Room(DWORD roomID) {   Init_Room(m_tiles[roomID]);}Init_Room(Grid g) {   // Load g into m_grid;}tile_t* m_pTiles;void Func1(Grid g) {  m_pTiles = g._;  // Although maybe you want to make the member be an actual Grid instead...  // of course, that would copy the data, while this just points at it.  // (Of course, you need to make sure the Grid data is persistent if you're  // going to point at it!)}const tile_t& GetTile(DWORD r, DWORD c) {  return m_pTiles[r][c];}

Er... I think that's right... :)
Just pass the array through the base pointer. It's easier, and (AFAIK, by the standard) foolproof.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement