Getting Max Tri/sec rate

Started by
19 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies!
I will try to optimize the mesh more and use tri strips, I guess that's the only way.
I found this though
http://www.delphi3d.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=364&view=previous
Link
Someone has posted he gets 200MTris/sec with x800pro with the demo in that thread .. but when I download it I only get 80.. guess it must be my system :(

/Erik
Advertisement
I get 118MTris/sec with the Delphi3D.net app, and 30MTris/sec with your app. This is a pretty big difference [looksaround].

Additionally, my card is retarded, so take my stats with a pinch of salt :)
Example framerates:
Counter-Strike1.6 in 640x480x32 on de_aztec: 30fps
DesertCombat in 1280x1024x32 all details on high, 70fps

Hardware:
Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB VRAM (Catalyst 3.5 Drivers)
MSI NEO-FIS2R Mainboard
Intel P4 non-HT 2.40b Ghz
512MB DDR300 RAM
Quote:ATI's website says the card should be able to draw like 500MTris/sec. I realize this is impossible to reach =)

u should be able to get close, last time i tested ive gotten exactly what the card can do (gf2mx 20M/tri sec actual rendered) havent tested it fully (cause once it went over 100M/tri/sec it sort of became pointless) with my gffx5900 but im 99% sure if the specs saiz it can do 345M/tris a sec it is possible to do 345M/sec (benchmarked) on this card
for opengl use glCullFace( GL_FRONT_AND_BACK ) though u should be able to get a similar framerate with actually drawing them.
theres quite a few pdfs on the web
eg heres a d3d centered one http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc/D3DTutorial3_Pipeline_Performance.pdf
on how to achieve better performance have a read/ check out other benchmarking apps to see what they achieve
Hi,

I reinstalled WinXP and suddenly the demo from DelphiGL got 230 mts, while my D3D9 app went from 120 to 80 mts, and my own GL test app from 75 to 60 mts. This was all very strange.
AGP didnt work cause I hadnt installed the AGP motherboard drivers. After I installed that my D3D9 app went up to 110 mts, my GL app back up to 75, and the DelphiGL app dropped down to 80, as it was with my old system.
Removing the AGP and reinstalling ATI drivers got it back to what it was when I had just installed WinXP.
Has anyone experienced anything similiar to this?
Or have any suggestions on how to fix it?
That my own apps got lower mts without AGP seems to suggest that perhaps the indices are not stored on the card (even though I create buffers on the card for them), however I really can't understand how the demo app could possible drop from 230 to 80 mts.. from enabling AGP..

very messed up :(

[Edited by - Erik Rufelt on February 10, 2005 10:00:49 AM]
The problem is AGP
with AGP disabled the Delphi3D demo gets 230 MTris/sec
AGP 8x = 80
AGP 4x = 40

Seems like it stops storing indices on the graphics card or something like that, when AGP is enabled..
the max transform speed given by video card manufacturers is just a plain lie.
The same as the ps2 can not render 25 mtri/s.
There seems to be a arketting inflation. I suppose the guys from the marketting division come to see the devs and ask : under ideal condidtions, supposing a ridiculous frame buffer, and using an ib that indexese the same few small triangles over and over again, using the largest batch size possible, without shaders, without even displaying the triangles, how fast can we go?
our competitor said 100M, can we do more?
btw, is there a possibility to have that throughput test app (D3DGeometryrate test in full screen, since the vsyn is usually forced on in windowed mode?)
Act of War - EugenSystems/Atari
I've tested it in fullscreen, with the same results.
I cant upload a new version since i accidently deleted the code hahaha =)
Anyways, the problem is not getting the 500 MTris/sec, I don't really care how many tris/sec the card can handle, I just want it to handle all the tris it can. Something it seems very reluctant to do when AGP is enabled.
The same app, which code I have searched for any kind of checks for anything system related (there is nothing like that) runs at 230 mts with AGP OFF, and 80 mts with AGP 8x. (40 mts with AGP 4x).
It seems like for some reason the card uses system mem when AGP is enabled.. has anyone else ever experienced something like this??

I e-mailed ATI and got an autoresponse with some BIOS settings one could try with problems matching my key-words (?) so I think I'll try that and hope..
I think you are mistaken. The difference could probably be explained like this:
- when AGP is OFF, the geometry data is put in video memory directly (no bus transfer needed, fastest memory pool available).
- when AGP is ON, the geometry data is put in AGP memory, which is slower than video memory (but much faster than system memory), since each time you'll render this data it has to be transfered from AGP to video memory temporarily.

Although in theory it's better to put data in video memory, don't forget that the amount of video memory is much lower than the amount of AGP memory, and that textures/color buffers have to reside in video memory. In a real application, AGP is probably the only good solution.

Y.
The geometry is not put in system memory, since that yields an geometry rate of only 10Mtri/sec. No more can be sent over 8x AGP, it's that much slower.
However the indices might be put in system memory..
They should not, definately.
A friend of mine has run the same apps as me, and he doesn't have this problem, he has a much older card and he gets higher geometry rate with AGP enabled than me, but when I disable AGP mine is higher with geometry stored on the card (as it should)
Somehow my system does something that makes the whole process slower (like move things to system memory) when I enable AGP.
I have tried setting chaning bios settings for AGP mem and some other things, with no result.
I have 256 MB memory on the card, I draw maybe 1 million tris + colors.. + 1 million indices .. = 20 bytes / vertex = 20 mb, 1/10 of what's available
no textures or anything
I've checked the free mem with some system scan apps, it says about 220 mb
Done some more testing, seems like the problem only appears in OpenGL using VBOs .. still very strange, doesn't happen on other peoples systems.. at least no one I have asked..
thx for all the replies

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement