[java] Java Tactics Demo

Started by
13 comments, last by H_o_p_s 19 years, 2 months ago
Please redirect here: My Journal entry Thanks! [Edited by - H_o_p_s on February 11, 2005 12:20:55 AM]
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Advertisement
It does not work on my machine, but then again I do not think I have the JVM installed. So I will install that now.

[edit]

Ok got that installed. Definitly add a note that you need to have the JVM installed for it to work [wink]. Anyways, I get around 12-16 FPS. The animation is smooth, but the map is not being drawn right. Here is what I am talking about:

See that white bar at the bottom? I hit 'S' and it did not help any. Not only that the framerate went up, but the Load was sporadic. When it was at 0%, all was well for the seconds it stayed, then it was mostly above 150%.

When I went above 66fps with the '+' key it crashed, but did not die. It went blank, but the music still played. Of which I'd like to say the music worked great and sounds good. If I lower the fps below 2, it crashes again, but the load goes down a lot (40% ish)

The camera mode worked good as well, but the Enter key did not work at all. What is it supposed to do? I noticed that the keypad + and - do not work, so I tried using 'enter'.
My Specs:   P4 3.2 GHZ   1GB Ram   128MB 9600 Pro   Win XP SP2

Looks good!

- Drew

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on February 8, 2005 9:09:07 PM]
Thanks!
I'll see if it is something on my end also, I sent this out to like 3 forums, so I should know here soon if anybody can run this :)
Everything worked. I got about 8 fps on:
2.4Ghz, 512MB Ram, 64MB Video card.
Thanks Visage! Do you happen to know what JVM your running? You might be able to find out by something like "java -version" int the command line.

8fps doesn't seem right... because I can get between 100 and 300 on my mac with
1.33GHz
512mbram
64mb mobile radeon 9700 (I think... def. 64mb mobile radeon)
Works just fine here.. XP SP1 on Athlon 2500 using J2SE 1.5.0.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
1.4.2_05
The white bar at the bottom of the screen is the Load bar... when not in my smartrender mode it should give a good representation of how much of the loop is being used, versus how much time is allocated from the UPS variable.

visage: thanks again! I don't know why yours isn't working right... I have 1.4.2_05 as well, so it's not a J2SE 1.5.0 thing... hmmmm....
Quote:
The white bar at the bottom of the screen is the Load bar... when not in my smartrender mode it should give a good representation of how much of the loop is being used, versus how much time is allocated from the UPS variable.

[embarrass] I feel so retarded now. I knew that showed the load, but I never made the connection [lol]. *Sigh*

[edit]
Quote:
The crashing but not crashing as far as I know is because I have my SoundManager class in a different thread... so maybe if the mainloop dies, the sound thread still goes on...

Ok awesome, I see now. I think it could be my Intel just doesn't like Mac stuff? That could explain the reason for high load and low fps compared to your comp, even though mine seems like it would be faster. That or I need to configure the JVM. I just installed the newest version so it may not be top notch yet.

[edit]
Quote:It is all done in standard java so it shouldn't be. I picked java specifically for the cross platformness of it.

Yea that would make sense that Java should be fine no matter what, sigh I need to get my head straight! Too much C++ [lol]. If I set to 12 FPS the load stays under 100%. That is my optimal performace. I noticed if I do raise it a lot, the animations slow down a lot.

[edit] One last thing as well. I got the enter to work. I just had to hoover over a character then hit enter [smile].

- Drew
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton

When I went above 66fps with the '+' key it crashed, but did not die. It went blank, but the music still played. Of which I'd like to say the music worked great and sounds good. If I lower the fps below 2, it crashes again, but the load goes down a lot (40% ish)

The crashing but not crashing as far as I know is because I have my SoundManager class in a different thread... so maybe if the mainloop dies, the sound thread still goes on...

Thanks!

-=EDIT=-
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
I think it could be my Intel just doesn't like Mac stuff?

It is all done in standard java so it shouldn't be. I picked java specifically for the cross platformness of it.

-=EDIT=-
Quote:If I set to 12 FPS the load stays under 100%. That is my optimal performace. I noticed if I do raise it a lot, the animations slow down a lot.

Well, I think that the animations run between 50 and 100ms, so somewhere between 15 and 20 FPS should get all animation frames...

The enter only works when in cursor mode, by pressing space.

-=EDIT=-
Okay I think that some of the low fps here might be caused from the poor resolution timers available to windows machines... but I'll find out later with some more coding.

[Edited by - H_o_p_s on February 8, 2005 10:42:11 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement