• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sunandshadow

Xenallure Character Concepts

This topic is 4903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, my art is lame, I know this. *humbleness* But, it's what I've got until I can recruit a better concept artist. Anyway, I would like to know what you all think of the first half of our cast of characters - are there any body, face, hair, etc. types missing that you would like to see? What is your gut reacton to each character, and how would you suggest changing each one to make them more attractive? (Xenallure is a dating sim). Thank you, I will be grateful for your input. :) The Cast From left to right, characters are: Follow, Bunny, Skew, Lion, and Kitten (Some names are temporary placeholders until we think of better ones.)

Advertisement
I think you need to add more detail. The anatomy seems to be lacking and the proportions are not realistic. Unless of course your were looking for a cartoonish style. But even in "cartoon"-style, precise lineart and attention to the space is crucial. Also I think you need to work on the perspective a little bit, try to give more depth to your characters and more volume. Do so by using good references and construction lines during your early drafts, try yo imagine the bodies with basic 3d shapes such as a sphere, a cube, a cylinder etc.... Good luck !

/Agree, F.Magical does seem like the best, but the bodily porportions do seem off on all of them, there not bad perse, but seem alittle rough.

Sigh, I'm not asking for tips on my technique - I've been working on trying to draw anime style for 4 or 5 years now, and have resigned myself to the fact that my drawing is not going to get any better, partially because I have a different idea of what ideal anatomical proporions than most people. What I am asking for is reactions to the character concepts. So far we've got a proud muscle guy, a sneaky skinny guy, a cute curvy catgirl, a slender sophisticated hermaphrodite, and a stocky shy hermaphrodite. What is missing from this set? We want to have at least one character that every player will be attracted to. We have a slot for another female character - how should she be different from Kitten? What other types of characters would you like to see?

But to answer Soryu's question, I was aiming for a shoujo anime style like these:
Marron from Sorcerer Hunters
Touga from Utena

s&s,

Have you given any consideration into buying any Manga animation tutorial books? I've just bought about 5 relatively cheaply, and they've been of great help. Here is my first frontal character protrait, and I'm fairly pleased :).

http://www.dhartless.com/art/default.aspx

Still have to color it though. Do a search for Managa on Amazon, and you'll find all kinds of tutorial books.

Dave

Mkay, reactions to the character concepts:

Follow: O_o
To be honest, Follow's not too appealing, firstly because of the dour expression on his/her/it's face and secondly because of its pear-shaped body composition. Hrm...

Bunny: -_-
First reaction: Too much makeup. Whore. Well... I'm sure some people like that kind of... multisexual entity. :}

Skew: ._'
...creepy. Naturally, one can see how that would be the center of the character's appeal, though. Ooh! Dress this one in some dark, equally shady clothing and you have *ding* instant coolness. Albeit creepy coolness.

Lion: ._.
No face yet?

Kitten: =^_^=
Yes, I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree wholeheartedly that this one is very nice.

If you're gonna have the obligatory catgirl, mayhaps you also need the obligatory bishounen. However, seeing as you've said it's a female that you're looking to add...
Perhaps a valedictorian college girl? Bringing in an anal-retentive character never fails to produce some kind of entertaining result.

Quote:
Original post by dhartles
s&s,

Have you given any consideration into buying any Manga animation tutorial books?

Lol, yes, I have about 10 so far.

Well you could imagine a funyy little fellow, round and small (deVito style). Those characters are always apreciated.

I'm not really into the whole furry animalism thing, which it looks like you're going for with those names and designs. Anyway, I can't really tell who is who. Is the girl on the right the bunny or the kitten? Is the first character a boy or girl? The face looks male, but the chest certainly does not (unless he's got some estrogen issues, heh).

I don't like the second character from the left's face. Her whole facial look is just...arbitrary and weird. It looks like some prissy girl with too much make-up and bad hair.

You may have something going with the third character. It reminds me a bit of Vega of SF or something; a really effeminate look. His face looks like it's a mask, however. If your art is supposed to be exaggerated and stylish, then you could certainly pass it off as his real face, but if realism is your goal it's far too porcelain looking.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!