[web] Electronic Transactions, how to?

Started by
7 comments, last by jumpjumpjump 19 years, 2 months ago
Can anyone tell me how I can do this. If I have a bank account, and someone else has a bank account, and on my website, they want to make a payment, how can I transfer X amount of funds from their bank account to mine, showing my billing name on their statement.
Advertisement
You'll need to go through a third party I'm afraid. Some banks and companies will have credit card facilities set up as well as allowing direct bank transfers. I'm guessing you'd be best off enquiring with your bank as to whether they offer such a service.

Otherwise you can use people like WorldPay, PayPal, etc to manage some payments, at a price.
Realistically, you're going to either have to have a merchant account, in which case credit / debit cards can be used (although the acquiring bank will charge commission, as may someone else), OR

You get someone like Worldpay / Netbanx to do it for you but:
- They take commission (more than a cc merchant account)
- They don't give you your money straight away - they keep it for at least a month
- They suck immensely. Especially Netbanx. Avoid it if ANYBODY else will handle your payments. Seriously, if there is a Siberian Inuit with a mobile phone, offers you one, choose them above Netbanx.

Mark
Most web hosting companies offer some form of e-commerce product. I believe those products can be tied very easily to some financial institution.

John
Quote:Original post by Imbesile
Most web hosting companies offer some form of e-commerce product. I believe those products can be tied very easily to some financial institution.

John

Yes, you're right about that. I haven't used on though. I know of WebFusion in the UK which is £500pa for a pretty decent account. I'm going to hazard a guess that there's cheaper packages.

As with anything, please make sure you check the company out first.
I'd go with PayPal. Almost anyone who buys things online almost definately already has an account. PayPal also makes it very easy for you to handle this.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
so am i correct in saying that i need a third party for electronic transactions? are there any free services?
Thanks.
No, all services charge a commission.

I would like to warn you against PayPal if you sell something electronic -- i e, if you don't have a FedEx tracking number for each customer. PayPal will believe a customer who tells them that you didn't give them anything, so someone can pay for your program, download it, use it, then call PayPal and say they didn't get anything, and PayPal will take the money back from you -- plus a surcharge!

Thus, if you're selling shareware this way, I'd recommend that you mail the customer a registration code using traceable mail (like Priority Mail with delivery confirmation) so you won't get screwed like this -- because it happens ALL THE TIME.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
If you want to sell share ware, look up share*it. They offer an online store for you and the last time I checked it was free. They just charge you for cd's and a couple dollars extra on the disks to make some cash.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement