[web] UTF-8 encoding, HTML and JS

Started by
5 comments, last by ToohrVyk 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I am currently working on somebody's web site, and I need to be able to output Romanian UNICODE characters. I do have the references for those characters, and the &#stuff; references do display the data correctly in html. My problem is that I have to display some text on a mouse-over-button event, and that text is displayed using a &#106avascript script which prints the &stuff; reference instead of the character it is meant to represent. Jow do I type thes characters in? I can't think of a single windows UTF-8 editor, and even if I did, I don't know how to create the characters using a non-romanian keyboard. And also, will a file in UTF-8 be parsed by a web browser as UTF-8 if it has been saved (encoded) that way?
Advertisement
HTML entities are bad practise/evil, enter the Unicode characters instead.

I use Vim to do it where I can press Ctrl-v u and then enter the unicode code for the character, I assume you have the numbers for the characters, otherwise it's pretty easy to look them up in the Unicode standard if you are good at characters.

If you can't enter them any way, just enter the bytes that the characters consist of, I think that's in the Unicode standard too.

To make sure that the webbrowser parses it as UTF-8, set the encoding in the XML header to UTF-8 along with the Content-Type in the XHTML header.

<?xml version="1.1" encoding="UTF-8" ?><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=UTF-8">

--edit--

application/xml+xhtml -> application/xhtml+xml

[Edited by - Leffe on February 10, 2005 6:17:55 AM]
Quote:Jow do I type thes characters in? I can't think of a single windows UTF-8 editor, and even if I did, I don't know how to create the characters using a non-romanian keyboard.

Notepad2 is a good editor with UTF-8 support. To create the characters, just install the language files for the romanian language and get going. You'll take sometime to learn, but I suppose that's the best you can do [smile]

Quote:And also, will a file in UTF-8 be parsed by a web browser as UTF-8 if it has been saved (encoded) that way?

Specify the encoding in the meta tag in the previous post.

Thank you!
I know what chraracters I need to use, for instance 0x0218 but I have the following problems:

C-v u 0218
C-v u c898
C-v u 536

Neither of these inputs in vim ouput a character. The file remains empty.

Also, I've tried out emacs with the following results:

M-x ucs-insert RET c898 RET
Error : "Character can't be decoded to UCS"

M-x ucs-insert RET 0218 RET
Inserts a character, but it's an UTF-16 version. After encoding the file as UTF-8, and loading it again in emacs, the character becomes two characters.
Hm, are you in insert mode when you enter the commands? That's what you should be. Also, the hex code is what you are supposed to type.

Maybe Vim isn't set to use UTF-8?

Hm, I have encoding set to utf-8, fileencoding set to latin-1 (hmm...) and fileencodings set to utf-8, latin-1. Those seem to be the relevant ones.

Ah, fileencoding was set because I had the help open. For files I know I've saved as UTF-8 it's set to utf-8.

^V u 0218 inserts a ? for me :) No such glyph in my font. Hm, I think I'll post one here to see what it could be on Windows some time: È*

--edit--

ELinks messed it up :(

[Edited by - Leffe on February 10, 2005 6:28:18 AM]
I managed to accomplish this by entering the UTF-8 escape sequence in &#106avascript.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement