Snook's Real Time Terrain book

Started by
7 comments, last by Ademan555 19 years, 2 months ago
Hi, the next stage in my DirectX odyssey is reading Greg Snook's 'Real Time Terrain Rendering Using DirectX and C++" Its a good book, well written and intelligently expressed. However, my enthusiasm has been a little dented after I tried running the .exe's included on the CD. I was getting frame rates of about 1fps for the simpler demos and 0.1fps for the complex ones!!!! My system is a Athlon 2.4gHz, GeForce 4 Mx420 64mb, 512mB RAM. Am I missing something? I have tried switching to fullscreen mode and lowering resolution but to no avail. I was slightly puzzled why the render device in the options was D3DDEVTYPE_REF, with no other options available. I thought the REF device was for hardware emulation, hence slow fps? ANyone got over this coz the landscapes are rather nice! Thanks n'all! Si
Advertisement
maybe your card does not support features required by the samples?
Probably because the project uses some kind of shader (I'm not sure about the specs of your videocard), that your card can't run which forces D3D to go into REF mode.
There's no way to 'fix' a hardware limit.
Ah yes, the infamous Geforce 4 MX. It has has no hardware shader support as has been suggested. It's equivalent to a Geforce 2 in terms of features.
Thats just great!

So can anyone recommend a good gfx card to upgrade to ?

I like nvidia ones bestest!

Si
You should get a reasonable priced SM3 card like 6600 and above. I don't know the specifics, but I thought you can get one for $250.. [rolleyes] Not sure though.
The 6200 has shader model 3 as well, so if you don't care about performance at all and are only interested in having the newest programming features, the 6200 will do. Otherwise, what pipo said.
By the way, it might be a good idea to make sure that the lack of shaders are in fact the problem before buying a new card.
Hes not gonna be served well by a geforce 4 no matter how you cut it, hes better off upgrading.

my two cents
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement