Sign in to follow this  

Snook's Real Time Terrain book

This topic is 4690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, the next stage in my DirectX odyssey is reading Greg Snook's 'Real Time Terrain Rendering Using DirectX and C++" Its a good book, well written and intelligently expressed. However, my enthusiasm has been a little dented after I tried running the .exe's included on the CD. I was getting frame rates of about 1fps for the simpler demos and 0.1fps for the complex ones!!!! My system is a Athlon 2.4gHz, GeForce 4 Mx420 64mb, 512mB RAM. Am I missing something? I have tried switching to fullscreen mode and lowering resolution but to no avail. I was slightly puzzled why the render device in the options was D3DDEVTYPE_REF, with no other options available. I thought the REF device was for hardware emulation, hence slow fps? ANyone got over this coz the landscapes are rather nice! Thanks n'all! Si

Guest Anonymous Poster
maybe your card does not support features required by the samples?

Probably because the project uses some kind of shader (I'm not sure about the specs of your videocard), that your card can't run which forces D3D to go into REF mode.
There's no way to 'fix' a hardware limit.

The 6200 has shader model 3 as well, so if you don't care about performance at all and are only interested in having the newest programming features, the 6200 will do. Otherwise, what pipo said.

This topic is 4690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.