Sign in to follow this  

Pointer to a template class

This topic is 4689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I create a template class like this
template <typename T>
class cA
{
    public:
        T valor;

void DoSomething();
};
and then I want to create a pointer to an object of that class having any type just to call DoSomething() e.g.
  cA* pBuffer;  // cA can be of any type so not allowed cA<float>* pBuffer

// .....///
   pBuffer =  new cA<float>;
   pBuffer->DoSomething();
but that fail when compiling. And even worst if I do std::vector< cA* > apBuffers; apBuffers.push_back( new cA<float> ); Any idea or hint? Pd. If I do cA<typename>* pBuffer instead of cA* pBuffer, the compiler (VS2003) guess I'm refering to cA<int>* pBuffer;

Templates are still statically typed. cA< float > is a completely different type to cA< int >. There is also no such thing as a cA object. cA is only a template and only instantiations of that template can exist. So you can do cA< float > * object = new cA< float >(), but cA< float > * object = new cA< int >() is just as nonsensical to the compiler as Dog * dog = new Motorcycle().

If you need to store a number of objects from a related group you can either use inheritance or some form of union/type-safe multi-type object, for example boost::variant or boost::any.

Enigma

Quote:
Original post by CaossTec
I create a template class like this

template <typename T>
class cA
{
public:
T valor;

void DoSomething();
};

and then I want to create a pointer to an object of that class having any type just to call DoSomething()

e.g.

cA* pBuffer; // cA can be of any type so not allowed cA<float>* pBuffer

// .....///
pBuffer = new cA<float>;
pBuffer->DoSomething();

but that fail when compiling. And even worst if I do

std::vector< cA* > apBuffers;
apBuffers.push_back( new cA<float> );

Any idea or hint?

Pd. If I do cA<typename>* pBuffer instead of cA* pBuffer, the compiler (VS2003) guess I'm refering to cA<int>* pBuffer;

You can't do it. Until you make a cA class of a specific type, there is no cA class. The classes you make with cA are also unrelated to each other.

You might want to make a base class for your pointers:

class cABase
{
public:
virtual void doSomething = 0;
};

template <typename T> class cA : public cABase
class cA
{
public:
T valor;

void DoSomething();
};

caBase *buffer;

buffer = new cA<float>;

buffer->doSomething();//Runs cA<float>::doSomething();

You won't have access to cA<>::valor variables through pointers and referenes to cABase. The only stuff you can put in cABase is stuff that will be true for all classes generated using the cA template.

This topic is 4689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.