Post-Secondary education

Started by
4 comments, last by starstriker1 19 years, 2 months ago
I'm looking into my options, and I need to know what kind of education is recognized in the industry. In particular, I'm interested to know if the Art Institute of Vancouver's game development courses are worth taking. Thanks for any information, and sorry about such a vaguely phrased question.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by starstriker1
I'm looking into my options, and I need to know what kind of education is recognized in the industry. In particular, I'm interested to know if the Art Institute of Vancouver's game development courses are worth taking.

Thanks for any information, and sorry about such a vaguely phrased question.

A degree from an accredited univeristy in the right area, but it depends what aspect of game development you want to get into. If you're looking to get into the programming side of it a Bachelors in Comp Sci seems to be the standard. Given how competetive the game industry is and how stressful it can be you may want to consider getting a degree that can get you a job outside the game industry in case you get burnt out etc, like the previous mentioned degree in CS. That's my take on it anyway. I hope it helps.
Patrick
However, always remember that going into a CS degree program, you shouldn't be expecting them to teach you everything you need to know, you have to research stuff yourself, and expanding your skills.

Hopefully if you work at it, you should be ahead of the lectures in your first year. I know I am, which isn't hard. :P get ahead while you can, I'm betting this is going to be getting a lot harder for me next term.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Is the Art Institute accepted in the industry, though?
Well, as a recent graduate from the Vancouver-Burnaby campus in Game Programming, and having a job as a programmer in the game industry. I will have to say yes :D

As well, I know students, ( some of my fellow classmates actually ), whom are now working at EA, Rockstar, Exile on the Island, Ubisoft in Montreal, etc.

So yes the knowledge and experience you gain from the school is helpful. But that doesn't mean, going there will get you a job after you graduate. Myself and the others I know that got jobs, worked hard and built upon what we learned while attending AI:Vancouver-Burnaby.

So, I hope that helps answer your question.

Cheers,
Rigear
Thanks! Thats exactly what I needed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement