Sign in to follow this  

Dynamic Map Sizes

This topic is 4691 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am currently working on a simple Pacman clone with VC++ and SDL. I am in the process of creating a Map Class for my game. I want this class to be scaleable so that it can load maps of various sizes simply by reading the header in a map file. Currently I use a simple struct to hold my tiledata, at the moment it looks like this: stuct sTile { int tile_id; bool walkable; } I am then using a 2 dimensional array to store my map itself: #define LEVELWIDTH 19 #define LEVELHEIGHT 22 sTile gLevel[LEVELWIDTH * LEVELHEIGHT]; Now in the context of a map object..how could I create it so that when the map object is called, the contructor loads a passed map file name, pulls the LEVELWIDTH and LEVELHEIGHT and creates an array based on that information, then loads in the map data? I've been thinking of possibly using a dynamic array class which is capable of creating, resizing, deleting etc.. however, with my array stored in the "private" section of my mapclass, would I be able to use my mapclass methods to resize it with the level data? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

boost has a class for this, multi_array. It would look like this:

typedef boost::multi_array<sTile, 2> array_type;
array_type gLevel;

void some_function()
{
gLevel.resize(boost::extents[19][22]);
for (int x=0 ; x<19 ; ++x) {
for (int y=0 ; x<22 ; ++y) {
use(gLevel[x][y]);
}
}
}

It doesn't matter if the instance is a private member of some class, as long as you have access to it where you want to use it.

You could use std::vector like this:

class Map
{
public:
Map(std::string mapfile):
{
std::ifstream fin(mapfile.c_str());

// ...read width & height from map file...
mMapData.resize(mWidth * mHeight);

// read map data...
}

// This could be used in renderer...
const sTile& getMapCell(int x, int y)
{
return mMapData[y * mWidth + x];
}

private:
std::vector<sTile> mMapData;
int mWidth;
int mHeight;
};

// somewhere
Map test("test.map");
if (test.getMapCell(x, y).walkable)
crash_and_burn();

You should think about just using a 2d-array with a maximum width and height a map can have:

#define MAX_WIDTH 200
#define MAX_HEIGHT 200

sTile MapTiles[MAX_WIDTH][MAX_HEIGHT];

Your game will probably not support maps of unlimited size, so this really shouldnt be a problem.

You read your mapwidth and height from mapfile as usual, but when you loop through tiles or access a tile from the array you just need to make sure not to access non-used tiles. Simply check for the width and height you read from file before. For example only tiles from MapTiles[0][0] to MapTiles[99][49] are valid for a mapwidth of 100 and mapheight of 50.

This should be easiest way to do it. Hope that helps.

Why not dynamically allocate memory and use a pointer to index it ?
Load the size of the map from a file, allocate memory, then load the rest of the map.

This topic is 4691 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.