Tips on using Wacom tablet

Started by
10 comments, last by mikiex 19 years, 2 months ago
OK, I'm wondering if anyone has any 'tips' for using a Wacom tablet. I'm creating Manga art for my game, and have done my initial character designs on pen and paper. I've scanned my images in, and gave up trying to color them using mouse. I broke down and bought a Wacom tablet, but I'm having a little trouble getting used to it. I'm trying to trace over the outlines of my images in a new layer, but having a hell of a time getting smooth (straight) lines. I've played around with the pen settings a little, but haven't found anything yet. Am I just trying to draw too fast on the tablet? Thanks, Dave [Edited by - dhartles on February 9, 2005 6:29:52 PM]
Advertisement
It takes some time getting used to it :)
Drawing on tablet is different than on paper, also because you can't really look at the thing you are drawing, i mean at your hand and the output.
Unless you have one of those most expensive ones with screen on the tablet itself of course :)
When i'm doing any non-trivial work with my tablet, i like to hold it in my lap and put my feet up on something, using my knees like a prop. I just can't mentally sync with the screen when the tablet is on the table. I feel i get more control and precision this way.

If you are not getting the lines smooth, that sounds more like a technical problem. Perhaps your sensitivity thresholds/curves are not set well? Getting a smooth line should be simple right out of the gate. Getting the lines placed right is another story. Some lines and curves are really difficult to make simply because you cannot rotate the screen like you can a piece of paper. That really doesn't get much easier i'm afraid :-( It's a lot like working on a stand-up easel.
I turn pressure sensitivity off when doing game images. You could always trace the physical picture on the tablet itself. That way, once aligned, you can focus more on the tablet than the screen.
I wouldn't generally recommend a Wacom for outline and tracing purposes. Depending on your situation, I would probably either physically ink the designs and rescan them in, or use vector lines (pen tool) to create an outline. I generally reserve a Wacom tablet for coloring and shading; basically filling in.

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

Quote:Original post by Salsa
I wouldn't generally recommend a Wacom for outline and tracing purposes. Depending on your situation, I would probably either physically ink the designs and rescan them in, or use vector lines (pen tool) to create an outline. I generally reserve a Wacom tablet for coloring and shading; basically filling in.

Yeah, I guess I came to that conclusion late last night. I'll ink all of my drawings before scanning them in. Which I enjoy inking anyways. I know some people can't statnd it, but inking puts me in a zen kinda place...;)

Thanks,
Dave
Quote:Original post by dhartles
Quote:Original post by Salsa

Yeah, I guess I came to that conclusion late last night. I'll ink all of my drawings before scanning them in. Which I enjoy inking anyways. I know some people can't statnd it, but inking puts me in a zen kinda place...;)

Thanks,
Dave

Why ink in real-life when you can use a vector art capable package like Painter, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, etc, etc.
Quote:Original post by taby
Why ink in real-life when you can use a vector art capable package like Painter, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, etc, etc.

Vector art has its place depending on the style of image. It would be near impossible (also impractical) to vector trace comic book pencil work - which is why inkers are still absolutely necessary. Inking is a much more capable solution and allows you to incorporate your own style - it just takes much more skill to do so than simply pen plotting in Illustrator.

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

You can use quite an easy workaround for your problem.

For outlining I still recommend the mouse. You change to the appropriate
pencil size, put one "blob" then press "SHIFT" and put one blob somewhere
else. A straight line is drawn between the 2.

This very simple way you can outline nearly any kind of line-art.

Or you might use the pen tool what (if learned) will be a way better mode
to do the same with less effort. (I recommend to look the help of Photoshop about the Pen Tool or some tutorials on the net).
Signature:http://www.easternraider.comhttp://www.easternraider.com/gallery
I now draw almost exclusively with the tablet. Once you´ve gotten the hang of it, there´s really not that much difference between it and a pencil. With some tablets you do need to take your time in order to avoid jaggies, but other than that I think it´s pretty much suited for any job.

this is a tablet work, and while you can see that it was done digitally I don´t think the tablet factor detracts from it:

linked for size

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement