Fragment program support Nvidia cards

Started by
11 comments, last by MARS_999 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by qesbit
Well it's kind of pointless to demo your l337 skills with new technology by making stuff that has already been done...

Not really, for example I've implimented shadow maps, reflections and Doom3 lighting recently in various projects. All this has ofcourse been done and my stuff is based on other peoples idea and code, however I still get a sense of 'hell yeah!' when I see something I've put together working. I dont care that various ppl have got there first, the fact is that I've now got there and I can keep moving.
From my own point of view; I've got a game in mind in the long term, if I get the job I'm after (see below) then chances are it wont see the light of day pre-2008, at which point pre-DX9 class hardware WILL be dead and gone and things will have moved on some, so why spend my time now making things work for cards which wont be any use?

Quote:
But if you are commercial you will have to support older cards most publishers will require you to do this..

Indeed, and for some (hopefully) commercial work I'm working with the Source engine so I personally dont have to worry about it and even if I did if someone is paying me top dollar to impliment this stuff then I do as they say, regardless of my own views on the matter.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
If your a big game dev, the yeah I can see the point in making your game work on as many machines as possible, but for your own stuff I say pick a target and go with it and it that means telling anything pre-DX9 to sod off then so be it (which is the line I like to take in my personal stuff)

Well it's kind of pointless to demo your l337 skills with new technology by making stuff that has already been done...

But if you are commercial you will have to support older cards most publishers will require you to do this..

You forget that JC and Tim Sweeny aren't making up this stuff either. A lot of algorithms people use today came out 20-30 years ago. Shadowmaps are nothing new... 20 years old. Perlin noise 20 years old... So what is your point that all games made today irregardless of who's making them are just copies and ripoffs of stuff that people have done for over 20 years?
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_

Not really, for example I've implimented shadow maps, reflections and Doom3 lighting recently in various projects. All this has ofcourse been done and my stuff is based on other peoples idea and code, however I still get a sense of 'hell yeah!' when I see something I've put together working. I dont care that various ppl have got there first, the fact is that I've now got there and I can keep moving.
From my own point of view; I've got a game in mind in the long term, if I get the job I'm after (see below) then chances are it wont see the light of day pre-2008, at which point pre-DX9 class hardware WILL be dead and gone and things will have moved on some, so why spend my time now making things work for cards which wont be any use?

Quote:

Indeed, and for some (hopefully) commercial work I'm working with the Source engine so I personally dont have to worry about it and even if I did if someone is paying me top dollar to impliment this stuff then I do as they say, regardless of my own views on the matter.

When you get a job coding games, just remember me!! LOL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement