Sign in to follow this  
Meta Adam

A good OpenGL Book

Hello everyone, I've been shopping Amazon for a good OpenGL book, I have seen a couple that had good customer ratings, and looked good to me. They are "OpenGL SuperBible 3rd edition, by Richard S Wright and Benjamin Lipchak", and "OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 1.4, Fourth Edition, by a large group of people" Does anyone have thoughts on buying either one of these. It has been a while since I have had money, and almost have enough to scratch up for this. As for free ebooks, I have taken a look at The Redbook, and skimmed it, but I want something I can read off of the computer, because I get headaches easily looking at the screen, that's why most programs I write out are on paper first =). Thanks. [edit: I have close to no knowledge about OGL.]

OpenGL Programming Guide is by far the best. It's called the official version for a reason. I haven't seen the 3rd edition of OpenGL SuperBible, but I know the second edition sure sucked.

OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 1.4

and when you're done with the "red book", you move onto the "blue book":

OpenGL(R) Reference Manual : The Official Reference Document to OpenGL, Version 1.4

There is also an Orange Book, but it's never really mentioned with the Red and Blue book. I have the red book, and I will buy the blue book after I'm just about finished with the red one.

You might also want to check out NeHe. It has tutorials that will carry you through the beginner stages. I did a good number of those before I started reading the Red Book. You could always print out the tutorials, or consider an LCD screen.

Quote:

Beginning openGL game programming

Does this count as conflict of interest? [smile]

OTOH - I happen to own the red, blue and orange books, the openGL superbible and the above mentioned book (so I like to read - sue me). And - without meaning to sound like I'm kissing ass - the BOGP book is my favorite. That and the superbible have similar content, but the superbible just seems to fanny around a bit more. The red, blue and orange books are good (and complete) references, but for getting into the subject, the BOGP book works for me.

Quote:

Does anyone have thoughts on buying either one of these. It has been a while since I have had money, and almost have enough to scratch up for this.

Without meaning to deprive anyone of their hard-earned royalties - don't forget those lovely municipal libraries you can find on every street-corner.

Jim.

You can live without the Blue Book, sure its a good reference but I find the Red Book and banging the function names into google does it for me [smile]

The Orange book isnt mentioned much as it ONLY focuses on the OpenGL Shading Language, so when you get to that point its very usefull (as both a basic guide to how it works and a reference to the functions).

Okay, today I made it to barnes and noble, and they had the superbible, but they also had Beginning Game Programming, which instead of ogl its DX. It also came with a 3d modeler, a sound editing program, and code and stuff... So it seemed pretty good.

I personally own the OGL Super Bible 3rd Edition. I think it is quite good for the purpose I bought it for, a reference and tutorial. It is a bit big though.

If you have never done any 3D programming, I would suggest you go with Beginning OpenGL Game Programming. I would have chosen this book over the Superbible had I not already had experience with DirectX. I looked at it once when I was at the bookstore, and the contents and the two chapters I read seemed perfect for a beginner.

If you want, you could also try to wade through NEHE's OGL tutorials. I started learning OGL basics from these, and from there, the Superbible filled in and eventually took over.

Slaru

Quote:
but they also had Beginning Game Programming, which instead of ogl its DX

Was this book "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" by any chance? If so, and you want to learn DX, I would highly recommend this if you don't have any 3D programming experience. It is what got me started, and I didn't know squat before I started it.